Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jim Alateras <ji...@intalio.com> on 2002/08/17 04:30:56 UTC

Authorization through LDAP

We are trying to integrate Slide with LDAP and have so far managed to get
the authentication working through LDAP but we still need to work on
authorization. I have the following questions

1. The documentation indicates that we can federate our repository across a
number of different stores. Has anyone tried this?

2. If 1 works is it possible to split the /users section in to an LDAP store
and keep the rest in a JDBC store? I am assuming that an LDAP store does not
currently exist and I would have to create one? I am also assuming that I
would need to store serialized Java objects (SubjectNodes) in LDAP, is this
correct?

3. If the /users are stored in LDAP could I have actions and permissions
still stored in the JDBC store.

4. If I develop an LDAPStore do I need to modify anything else to get LDAP
authorization going?

cheers
</jima>

RE: Authorization through LDAP

Posted by Tom Wang <to...@panscopic.com>.
Jim,

It took us about a month of work (1 engineer), including design/coding and
some testing.  But we had to develop a generic authentication framework
(using JAAS) since our product also had to support schemes other than LDAP
(such as database).  So it'll be less if you just need LDAP.

Tom Wang
Panscopic Corporation
Web Reporting, Just Add Data
http://www.panscopic.com/