Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com> on 2019/05/06 17:48:47 UTC

Enabled backend tests for UBSAN

Hi All,
  I turned on backend tests under UBSAN in our precommit tests - Jim Apple
let me know that they were passing after he fixed the final set of issues
there.

- Tim

Re: Enabled backend tests for UBSAN

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
I've run the impala minicluster with TSAN occasionally when trying to debug
races. I think it would be useful to run the backend tests with it. The
other annoyance with TSAN is that there are a number of false positives
with the JVM that we'd need to suppress.

It seems worth the effort.

It would also be useful to finish off enabling leak sanitizer for the
handful of backend tests that don't have it enabled. I turned it on for the
vast majority of backend tests but there were a few that still leaked
thrift servers and things like that.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>.
I've been running an UBSAN job for the past week that covers BE, JDBC, FE,
and custom cluster tests. So far everything has been clean.

Separate update on the enabling TSAN, I started actively working on this
in IMPALA-5904. I'm pretty close to getting dataload + the BE
tests TSAN-clean (haven't invested the time in getting third-party libs
compiled with TSAN yet though).

--
Sahil Takiar
Software Engineer