Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net> on 2011/06/18 23:45:47 UTC

ASF, Google GSoC, github-bilrost, and Xalan-C/C++ Integration

Jesper,

We need to keep posting our activities on the "xalan-dev@xml.apache.org"
list to keep the ASF XALAN project alive. (Bertrand, thanks for your
support!  Thanks also for the promising news!)

I am making a commitment to advance Apache XALAN with Version XPath2 an
XSLT2.  I have studied the W3 specifications and understand many of the
problem issues and infrastructure vulnerabilities.  I also know the
internal architectures of numerous operating systems and program
language design.  I am willing to participate on your code review team.

I wish you good progress with the GSoC endeavor.

The ASF XALAN product should have a new version number to accommodate
the architecture change.  Here is my recommendation:

The ASF XALAN 1.xx series will be for XPath-1 and XSLT-1 maintenance.

The ASF XALAN 2.xx series will be for XPath-2 and XSLT-2 development.

It will be up to the reformed ASF XALAN PMC to determine the branch and
tag requirements of the SVN repository to accommodate this development
and maintenance efforts.  Until then, feel free to use the bilrost
projects on github.

My initial challenge is to prepare a stable Xalan-C/C++ release for
version 1.11.  The documentation framework appears manageable.  I am now
making the project web pages  appropriate for the Xalan-C/C++ 1.11 code
release.  I am willing to work with the Apache Infrastructure PMC to
address the resource requirements for setting up a new release
distribution.  I hope to have pre-production documents ready for review
in early August 2011, and ready for release sometime in September 2011.

I will actively contribute on both the github in support of GSoC and
when Apache XALAN is again healty, will contribute back to the Apache
XAPAN repositories, hopefully as a PMC member.

It looks like Bertrand is making progress toward keeping ASF XALAN live,
but it takes some of us to become ASF members and committers.  We thank
the persons on this list for their interest.

- Steven J. Hathaway
=== xalan-dev@xml.apache.org===

===============================

On 6/18/2011 2:27 AM, Jesper Steen Møller wrote:
 > Hi Steve
 >
 > Welcome to the party!
 >
 > Just so you know, git works on other platforms, too, including
Windows, but working with several platforms will help iin keeping the
build working across platforms, I guess.  I'll check it out on my
machines and see how well they build a.t.m.

 > As for XSLT2/3 - do you have time and interest in working towards
XSLT2/3?

 > -Jesper
 >
 > On 18/06/2011, at 09.34, Steve Hathaway wrote:
 >
 >> Dave,
 >>
 >> Thanks for your clone of ASF XALAN projects to bilrost and bilrost-c
 >> code base on github.  I will now install the GIT support packages
 >> on some Debian Linux machines for local work.
 >>
 >> I was added to the bilrost-dev without a functional google account.
 >> I have since bound a google account to my email and have performed
 >> a quick look at the two bilrost projects based on Apache XALAN.
 >>
 >> This is my first effort with a GIT based code control system repository.
 >> I am familiar with several other repositories and am trying to learn
GIT.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway

Re: ASF, Google GSoC, github-bilrost, and Xalan-C/C++ Integration

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesper,

It sounds exciting, and i am really glad to see Xalan is in its way again
:-)

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

2011/6/19 Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org>

> Hi Steve!
>
> On 18/06/2011, at 23.45, Steve Hathaway wrote:
>
> > I am making a commitment to advance Apache XALAN with Version XPath2 an
> XSLT2.  I have studied the W3 specifications and understand many of the
> problem issues and infrastructure vulnerabilities.  I also know the internal
> architectures of numerous operating systems and program language design.  I
> am willing to participate on your code review team.
> >
> Good for Open Source XSLT!
>
> > I wish you good progress with the GSoC endeavor.
> >
> Ah, there's a slight confusion there. Gui Xun Long is the GSoC student,
> Victor Wang is the mentor. I don't have a formal role in that, but I try to
> help out because

In fact, i am the GSoC student and Gui is my mentor, and he also really want
to contribute for Xalan

Posted by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.
Yea Team,

Regardless of who is coding and working in the various XPath2
development camps, I am interested in integrating the results back into
Apache XALAN.  I look forward to seeing your progress on this mail
list.  My snapshots of the XALAN-C SVN repository are integrated into
commercial products of various vendors, the largest being Unisys.  I'm
sorry that Unisys is not taking a more active role in the XALAN/XERCES
open source development.

Steven J.  Hathaway

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I too am curious to see if we can get xpath2 in Xalan.

Gary

Posted by Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org>.
Hi Steve!