Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/06/08 00:52:16 UTC

[testing] new subcomponent of Harmony?

As we start to flesh out the project more and more, one of the things
we've talked about is testing (and I don't mean unit tests..).  I think
that our testing infrastructure and results tracking is going to be a
very significant undertaking in the project, and the time feels right to
seriously make it a part of the project.

I've thought about this a bit, and while I'm sure we'll probably get
something setup here at the ASF,  I honestly don't think a single
resource like the ASF (or anyone) will be able to match what we can do
together as a distributed community, in terms of numbers or variety.

Therefore, given that have been significant achievements in this already
(like what IBM has running...), and I'm sure that there are many others
interested with contributions of code as well as time,  I'd like to
propose...

* Add /testing (or some other appropriate name) off of root, as a peer
to /classlib, /jchevm, /drlvm etc

* Bring together what various people are using into a unified and
easy-to-use setup in SVN that anyone can just download, configure and
run  (Hey, Mark!)

* Setup a place on the website to track who is doing what platform.

This way, no one entity has any "responsibility" for doing this for the
community - we all do it - and we all share in contributing to the
infrastructure.

I'd certainly setup a machine at home to do this, and I'd work to get
something setup inside my employer, Intel.  I bet a lot of other people
would as well.

Thoughts?

geir

Re: [testing] new subcomponent of Harmony?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Interesting.  I wasn't thinking of having unit or implementation tests
in here, as those still should be "near" the subcomponent, be it VM,
classlib, etc, but larger 'end-to-end' functional tests ?  I don't know
if that makes sense...

I was originally hoping that Mark would tell us what he has running over
at IBM, and let us start from there.. .:)

geir

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.