Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Brian Eaton <be...@google.com> on 2008/08/04 23:26:18 UTC

OAuth preloads for Shindig

Hey folks -

I'd like to implement OAuth authenticated preloads in Shindig.  A spec
enhancement has been proposed, but no votes as yet:
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/browse_thread/thread/063f21fff236d738

I don't think this is a particularly controversial enhancement, nor
will gadgets that use the enhanced Preload tag break on non-shindig
containers.  Any objections to it landing in Shindig?

Cheers,
Brian

Re: OAuth preloads for Shindig

Posted by Brian Eaton <be...@google.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Wouldn't the proper thing be to first make sure it's part of the spec, and
> then commit it to shindig?

Sometimes. =)  There is some precedent for doing it in the opposite
order, in order to validate spec proposals or otherwise experiment
with features.

The advantages of doing Shindig first are that we get better quality
spec proposals.  The downside of Shindig first is that we may end up
redoing work in Shindig to sync up with spec changes.

In this case I don't think the order matters much, because the
proposal is simple.

Re: OAuth preloads for Shindig

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Wouldn't the proper thing be to first make sure it's part of the spec, and
> then commit it to shindig?

Not necessarily. As we learned with REST, validating the spec within the
reference implementation is a very useful exercise to go through before
voting in a standard.

I'd rather have shindig eat the pain of upgrading than live with a crappy
spec.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.