Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Phil Warrick <ph...@mcgill.ca> on 2003/08/20 20:29:25 UTC

[Re-post] PB query question

Hi again,

I posted this a few weeks ago, perhaps when the best person to answer
wasn't around (Jakob?).  Your suggestions would be welcome.

Here is my model:

[A] <1--n> [B] <1--n> [C] <1--1> [D]
                         | |
                        C1 C2

I want to query for A objects using a C1 timestamp field as criteria (C1
is a subclass of C and C does not have the timestamp field) and a D
string field as criteria.

If the timestamp field belonged to the C class, then there would be no
problem directly querying for A's.

Since the criteria is a C1 attribute I don't think that I can directly
query for A's, so I can do it in two steps by first querying for C1
objects and then iterating through the returned collection to gather the
A objects, as follows

// snippit begin
Criteria criteria1 = new Criteria();
Criteria criteria2 = new Criteria();
criteria1.addEqualTo("d.stringField", new String("foo"));
criteria2.addEqualTo("d.stringField", new String("foofoo"));
criteria1.addOrCriteria(criteria2);

Criteria criteria3 = new Criteria();
criteria3.addBetween("timeStamp", timeStamp1, timeStamp2);

criteria1.addAndCriteria(criteria3);

Query query = new QueryByCriteria(C1.class, criteria1);
Collection c1Set = broker.getCollectionByQuery(query);

java.util.Iterator itr = c1Set.iterator();
List aList = new ArrayList();
while (itr.hasNext())
{
      // gather the A's (more db hits here)
      A a = c1.getB().getA();
      aList.add(a);
}
// snippit end

It would be nice to reduce the DB hits and query for the A's directly as
is possible in with standard OQL:

select c1.b.a from c1 in C1.class
	where (c1.d.stringField = \"foo\" or
                  c1.d.stringField = \"foofoo\") and
	e.theTimestamp >= timestamp '" + timeStamp1 + "' " and
           e.theTimestamp <= timestamp '" + timeStamp2 + "' "

Is there any possibility that this is possible with PB queries?

Thanks for read this far,

Phil

Re: [Re-post] PB query question

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi phil,

there have been discussions about defining the fields of the subclasses
in the abstract base class as well. but i do not know the current state :(
you could try to use a path hint (setPathForClass) but this could
conflict with the other extent .

jakob