Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2002/11/14 22:34:23 UTC

[lang] Dates/DateRanges [was Re: Re: Conversion utilities]

<blatant-self-advertising>
http://joda.sourceforge.net  has code for handling TimePeriods and comparing
dates (In fact its a complete rewrite of dates from the ground up). Only at
0.8 release though.
</blatant-self-advertising>

This is my biggest concern with putting Date and Calendar code into [lang].
There is a lot that can be done to try to fix up the current Date/Calendar
classes. But how much is worth it? Where do we in [lang] draw the line
between useful methods, and the Joda complete rewrite?

Stephen

Posted by Steven Caswell <st...@caswell.name>.
The Joda date support looks interesting (just took a brief glance, but I
can see where it would be valuable).

I'm wondering, though, if there is still not some place in [lang] for
some basic utilities to help make the JDK Date and Calendar classes
easlier to use. I'm thinking that this would be a filler for those who
can't for whatever reason move over to using Joda. Unless of course you
want to not make it easier for folks to not use Joda :)

Having said that, though, I think we should try to limit the scope of
date/calendar stuff in [lang]. We certainly don't want to reinvent a
wheel that Joda would have already invented.

Steven Caswell
steven@caswell.name
a.k.a Mungo Knotwise of Michel Delving