Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Sari <sa...@spamcop.net> on 2007/08/16 12:58:48 UTC

ClassCastException when building the JetExpress tutorial

Hello,
I've installed  jetspeed-2.1.2-demo-installer.jar on my
FreeBSD/postgreSQL environment, and now trying the JetExpress
tutorial.  Though there were quite a few complications, the mailing
list archives have been filling in the missing pieces for me.
However, I just couldn't find the solution to the problem I'm facing
now, and would like to ask for your help.

Following the instructions on
<http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2/01/build-it.html>,
when I executed "mvn -P tomcat,min", I got
"java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.maven.usability.MojoFailureExceptionDiagnoser:".
Detailed messages are attached at the end of this mail.

I found two similar correspondences in the archive; one solution was
to specify "-DarchetypeVersion=2.1" (instead of 2.1-dev), and the
other was to specify "http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2" as the
mirror site in maven setting.xml.
Based on the information, I've regenerated the jetexpress portal
using "-DarchetypeVersion=2.1" option (instead of 2.1-dev), but
neither value made any difference.

The mirrors section in my setting.xml for maven is as follows, and I
haven't been having problems downloading necessary files so far:
<mirrors>
  <mirror>
     <id>central.mirror</id>
     <name>Mirror http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/</name>
     <url>http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2</url>
     <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
  </mirror>
</mirrors>

The database-related entries in setting.xml are as follows, and all
83 tables were created in the database :
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.drivers.path>
/usr/local/share/java/classes/postgresql.jar
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.jdbc.drivers.path>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>
postgres
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.default.name>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>
jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jetexpress
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.url>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.driver>
org.postgresql.Driver
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.driver>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.user>
jetspeed
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.user>
<org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.password>
*****
</org.apache.jetspeed.production.database.password>

One thing I did that might have something to do with this is that
because I came across "The plugin 'xxxx' does not exist or no valid
version could be found" messages for the following components, I
downloaded them from http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 instead of
http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2.

org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/
org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
plexus/
org/codehaus/plexus
org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plugin/
org/apache/maven/maven-parent/
org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-plugins/
org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/

I would appreciate any suggestions or insights as to how I can
resolve this problem.

Thank you and best regards,
Sari

====== Beginning of the generated messages ======
populate-seed-data:
     [echo] called seed data with directory
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc
   [delete] Deleting directory
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/target/seed
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/target/seed
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/target/seed/data
     [copy] Copying 1 file to
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/target/seed/data
     [copy] Copying
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/sql/j2-seed.xml
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/target/seed/data/j2-seed.xml
     [echo] Running Jetspeed Seed Importer with -b
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/serializer/assembly//boot/
-c
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/serializer/assembly//
     [echo]  IN SEED establishing dependency to
org.apache.pluto.version=1.0.1
     [echo]     portlet-api.version=1.0
     [echo]     org.apache.jetspeed.deploy.version=2.1
     [echo]
org.apache.jetspeed.deploy.groupid=org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-api/2.1/jetspeed-api-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-commons/2.1/jetspeed-commons-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-components/2.1/jetspeed-components-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-cm/2.1/jetspeed-cm-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-rdbms/2.1/jetspeed-rdbms-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-capability/2.1/jetspeed-capability-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-security/2.1/jetspeed-security-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-serializer/2.1/jetspeed-serializer-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-profiler/2.1/jetspeed-profiler-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-registry/2.1/jetspeed-registry-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-portal/2.1/jetspeed-portal-2.1.pom
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-commons/2.1/jetspeed-commons-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-portal/2.1/jetspeed-portal-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-profiler/2.1/jetspeed-profiler-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-api/2.1/jetspeed-api-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-components/2.1/jetspeed-components-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-security/2.1/jetspeed-security-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-serializer/2.1/jetspeed-serializer-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-rdbms/2.1/jetspeed-rdbms-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-capability/2.1/jetspeed-capability-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-registry/2.1/jetspeed-registry-2.1.jar
Downloading:
org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-cm/2.1/jetspeed-cm-2.1.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error executing ant tasks

Embedded error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:299:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:304:
The following error occurred while executing this line:
/usr/home/sari/JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/etc/build.xml:501:
====== End of the generated messages ======

Re: ClassCastException when building the JetExpress tutorial

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 21, 2007, at 1:06 AM, Sari wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your clarification.
>
>>> Could someone please confirm if this actually was the correct way to
>>> build a custom portal?
>>>
>> Well, this is the current recommended approach:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed2/Maven2BuildSupport
>> backed by the tutorial:
>> http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2/
>
> I understand what is already documented is *the* recommended
> approach, but I was having problems building the tutorial as I
> mentioned in the original post, so in the end I downloaded the
> entire repository and editted the settings.xml to not point to any
> mirrors, and the build ended successfully.
> I was curious to find out if what I did was also another acceptable
> way, because I'm currently considering to develop a custom portal
> on Jetspeed in a non-internet-reachable environment during the
> implementation and testing phases, so if you only need to simply
> download a "clean" repository once, and not have to connect to any
> mirrors, then that's a good news to me.

Maven is a very powerful tool full of great features and can be
easily configured to point at repos inside your intranet.
Of course you will somehow need to download the dependency jars once
to put them there

>> Recently, due to complaints from newbies about the difficulties of
>> using Maven-2, I decided to try a simpler method of building, with
>> Ant + Eclipse as described here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/docs/site/index.html
>
> I've read a few correspondences in which you wrote about it, and
> I'm  very much interested in trying it out.  The thing is, our
> production environment will be FreeBSD/postgres, so my first
> priority is to try running and developing a portal with Jetspeed on
> FreeBSD/postgres, and to verify that Jetspeed indeed provides the
> functions we need.
> After that, I will need to setup a development environment, so I'm
> expecting your new tutorial with Eclipse will be a great reference.

The installer that comes with the tutorial will run on FreeBSD and
has a "checkbox" for selecting PostgreSQL as your database. So I
think the Ant/Eclipse tutorial is a good place to get started for
evaluation

Re: ClassCastException when building the JetExpress tutorial

Posted by Sari <sa...@spamcop.net>.
Hello,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Steve, thank you for taking the time to write this, it was very
valuable and I will include your suggestions in the next revision of
this tutorial.
I am planning to have this new tutorial ready to be included in the
2.1.3 release coming out within a few weeks
Hearing you say "by the end of section-1 I had a working Jetspeed
install" was cool indeed!

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: ClassCastException when building the JetExpress tutorial

Posted by Steve - old <st...@browsermedia.com>.
David,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Sari <sa...@spamcop.net>.
Hi,

> I encountered the same problem, took me a good half day to  figure it our the
> solution.  It's confusing, but  To generate the portal, you need the mirrors
> as suggested before, however, for build the portal, you have to remove the
> entry.

Well, I actually tried that when I was trying to solve the problem,
but in my case, I got "The plugin 'X' does not exist or no valid
version could be found" messages for a few plugins.
I was able to solve the problem by downloading the entire repository
first and not using the mirrors entry, and everything is moving on
just smoothly now.

Tnank you all the same for sharing your tip.

With regards,
Sari

Re: ClassCastException when building the JetExpress tutorial

Posted by luibau <su...@primaxinc.com>.
I encountered the same problem, took me a good half day to  figure it our the
solution.  It's confusing, but  To generate the portal, you need the mirrors
as suggested before, however, for build the portal, you have to remove the
entry.
just remove the following from you setting.xml.. will do
<mirrors>
  <mirror>
     <id>central.mirror</id>
     <name>Mirror http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/</name>