Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Richard Schilling - Consultant <w-...@ontela.com> on 2008/10/07 03:46:01 UTC

question about maven build goals....

When I run the maven javadoc target from the API2 directory, I get the following error back

$ cd trunk\api2
$ maven javadoc

__  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.1

Caught exception evaluating: basedir.substring(0, basedir.lastIndexOf('jdo')). Reason: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1938)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.util.introspection.UberspectImpl$VelMethodImpl.invoke(UberspectImpl.java:231)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:104)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:82)

... add nausium

The javadoc target seems to run, however and generate javadoc items.

But, what causes this error exactly, and how do I avoid it?

Jira bug JDO 603 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-603) suggests that a directory name has to contain the text "jdo".

The build documentation doesn't specify build instructions completely - something I'll be updating, BTW when I get this question answered ...

Thanks in advance.

Richard Schilling

Re: question about maven build goals....

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Richard,

I'm surprised you see this error when running 'maven javadoc'. What I
recall is that this check for the directory name is done when running a
distribution (e.g. maven dist).

I could run maven javadoc in api2 w/o any problems. Even after renaming
the root directory jdo to a different name it still works. You might
want to run maven in debug mode 'maven -X javadoc' and see whether this
gives some useful information. Attention: the output is very verbose :-).

Regards Michael

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24, D-10963 Berlin
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Christian Roth, Hendrik Saly, Martin Weber
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 86780
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680

Re: question about maven build goals....

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mi...@akquinet.de>.
Hi Richard,

Posted by Richard Schilling - Consultant <w-...@ontela.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Richard Schilling - Consultant <w-...@ontela.com>.
Or, I should say....

The source tree of the project doesn't really have any directory paths that end in "jdo" and also have maven build files in them....

Richard

Well that poses an interesting problem.  Or, perhaps I'm just confused at this point.  Both are equally possible :-)

The source tree of the project doesn't really have any directory paths that end in "jdo".  So, from where in the tree, exactly, do I run maven?

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Richard Schilling - Consultant <w-...@ontela.com>.
Sure,

S:\>cd jdo

S:\JDO>cd trunk

S:\JDO\TRUNK>svn status
?      target
?      output.txt
?      util20\target
?      api2\catalog.xml
?      api2\private
?      api2\output.txt
M      api2\test\java\javax\jdo\JDOConfigTestClassLoader.java
M      api2\test\java\javax\jdo\JDOHelperConfigTest.java
M      api2\project.properties

S:\JDO\TRUNK>

I modified project.properties to set some javadoc properties.

Richard
Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Richard,

Posted by Richard Schilling - Consultant <w-...@ontela.com>.
> [...]

        at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.GrantProject.getProperties(GrantProject.java:170)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.GrantProject.replaceProperties(GrantProject.java:102)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Echo.addText(Echo.java:102)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.AntTag.doTag(AntTag.java:172)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:250)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.TagSupport.invokeBody(TagSupport.java:186)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.core.IfTag.doTag(IfTag.java:42)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:250)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95)
        at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag.runBodyTag(MavenGoalTag.java:83)
        at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag$MavenGoalAction.performAction(MavenGoalTag.java:116)
[...]

        at org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.ant.AntTag.doTag(AntTag.java:195)
[...]
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javadoc.execute(Javadoc.java:1574)

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Richard,