Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> on 2013/01/29 07:15:44 UTC

Getting started on the documentation project

People come in and say "hey, how can I help".

I would like to provide a solid answer, but, the best I can probably do
is to point them to this mailing list. Would be nice if we had a WIKI
page or document to spell it out.

So, I looked here:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation

The best I could find was a link to here

http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/

None of the pages give concrete direction or suggestions.

The ODF team uses Write documents with set styles and templates. For
review, you enable change tracking, make your changes, rename the
document, then put it back for the original author to accept or reject
your changes.

In GIMP, you edit an XML file and submit your changes directly to a lead
who integrates your changes. I submitted so many changes that I had
direct write access, but that occurred over time based on previous work.

So, how does it work for AOO? It would be nice if it were spelled out on
a specific page. The best that I can figure is that anyone can simply
edit the WIKI and make direction changes with no review process.

Yep, just jump in and change what ever you want.

Would rather see clear direction that tells them this is what is
expected, and, if not, indicate what is expected.

Also, are we making any provisions for having multiple versions of
documentation on the wiki? Consider when things are set for version 4
and we start working towards something on the near horizon. Do we simply
modify the existing for what will be coming out in a few months?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Getting started on the documentation project

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
> I went to the Documentation pages and they do give some help venues on how
> to contribute. Including Wiki edit guidelines.
>
> The dashboard does suggest moving everything to the wiki:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard

I updated the Dashboard 2011 plan to the 2013 plan, we can put some of the
ideas we could generate on guidelines about process modification and plans.
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/2013_Plan

We could make a roll call so we can also update the volunteer list here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Who_is_Who

Here are some historical plans from 2009 and 2010:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Project_Plan
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/2010_Plan

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Getting started on the documentation project

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/29/2013 08:39 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> I went to the Documentation pages and they do give some help venues on how
> to contribute. Including Wiki edit guidelines.

Do you feel that it is sufficient to direct people that desire to
volunteer there and then they are ready to go? I followed a few links,
and it was telling me how ODF desires that I setup my system for
consistent screen shots.

I am thinking about a simple, "How can I get started with
documentation?". This might point to a bunch of other links, but, it is
a start.

> The dashboard does suggest moving everything to the wiki:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard
>
> I think we could get some knowledge like creating wikibooks and how to
> contribute to wikibooks so the pages are not scattered or the links
> miswriten.
>
> I am sure is there, but is not easy to get there, we could add url to the
> wikibooks from the helpguide.

I don't expect a "first timer" to worry about creating "wiki books" (not
that I have any idea what that is), I expect them to write and fix
documentation. Now, if they must follow certain guidelines, so that what
ever the experts do with the material will work, then we should
reference that. With LibreOffice, the final books are assembled by only
a few people, while most people edit.

> Should tutorials have guidelines? At least tagged under a specified
> category.
Depends. If you intend to only have "official" tutorials then yes I
suppose so.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
<an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
> People come in and say "hey, how can I help".
>
> I would like to provide a solid answer, but, the best I can probably do is
> to point them to this mailing list. Would be nice if we had a WIKI page or
> document to spell it out.

What we've done in other areas is point the user to this page:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html

That has an introduction to the project and how we work.  And then it
has a link to a brief intro for each project area.  As you see we have
descriptions for QA, Localization, Marketing and Dev, but nothing yet
for Doc.

-Rob