Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Li Jin <yu...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/04 12:34:02 UTC

How to control network traffic when ts crash.

Hi,I got a question.
Our kudu service is production now. when ts crash, data will migration
between ts. Network traffic will full and can not write or write normally.
it’s unacceptable. Is there any good way to control network traffic when ts
crash, and write or read service is not affect. Thanks!

Re: How to control network traffic when ts crash.

Posted by Andrew Wong <aw...@cloudera.com>.
Ah, I see. When a tablet server crashes, a few things usually need to
happen:
1. new leaders must be elected for all the tablets with a leader that
crashed,
2. all of the affected tablets must change their Raft configs to replace
the dead server, and
3. all of the affected tablets need to be replicated to honor the
replication factor.

Using `--num_tablets_to_copy_simultaneously` will probably only help with
the last one. New leaders
still must be elected, and a new tablet server will still be added for
each; both of these will still
contribute some to network traffic. The difference would be that, as the
name implies, each tablet
server will only be able to service a single tablet copy request at a time,
so the time to full,
"healthy" replication for the cluster will likely be longer. The tablet
copies do have more data to
transfer than elections and config changes, so maybe this would be
sufficient.

Off the top of my head, I think the second solution you suggested seems a
bit riskier because
it might end up preventing tablets from reaching quorums, and it relies on
an operators noticing
the failures and moving everything in time. The second point may be fixed
by using
`--evict_failed_followers` instead, but the first is a big issue to look
out for.

As I mentioned before, these solutions affect the guarantees that Kudu
provides: the replication
factor in all of these cases will be compromised in exchange for a lighter
load on your network.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

--
Andrew Wong

Re: How to control network traffic when ts crash.

Posted by Li Jin <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Li Jin <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Wong <aw...@cloudera.com>.