Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Neil Pitman <np...@interlink.net> on 2002/04/04 17:56:03 UTC

Re: [AM] Agile Modeling for web (Struts)

This is a thread that I started on (agilemodeling@topica.com)  They know
about modelling but don't seem to know much about Struts.  maybe it will
work better here.  I am interested in modeling STruts in UML.
--

Jon,

I guess that if I knew the answers to your questions or even the right
questions to ask I wouldn't be asking the list.

There are (at least) three interesting behaviour aspects:
1) submit behaviour in response to a click;
2) navigation in response to a click (and perhaps a function of the
results of the submit);
3) HTML painting.

The points of departure are, respectively:
1) Action::perform()
2) Action::perform() and struts_config.xml<action-mapping>
3) JSP and tags

I have the sitemap as a state diagramme.  I can map each page (state) to
a class (JSP); compose the page of Tags and Actions.  The Forwards and
are too significant to put only in sequence diagrammes I will probably
use an association.  I'm not sure about the where to put the logical XML
   name versus the Java name.  I suppose that the correct way would be to
put an intermediate UML class representing the indirection in the
<action-mapping>.  I'll assume that it won't be a problem for this system.

I still see a hole in modelling the use of session and request data.
There are implicit dependencies between the suppliers and consumers of
the objects stored there.  My understanding is that they are used as a
blackboard.  I can impose a formality, but I don't care to solely for
the reason of modelling.

--

I'm not really concerned about generation of code (yet), although I
spent 2 years in code generation technology.  My system is small and I

I'll report back.

--
Neil Pitman
npitman@interlink.net