Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/30 19:58:44 UTC

Does Docker need .ssh and .subversion linked to root?

If so, why?

I have mainly been running Docker without mounting .ssh and
.subversion, and not noticed any issues that seem to be caused
omitting them.

If they can be dropped, it would reduce the number of directories that
have to be exposed to Docker.

Sebb

Re: Does Docker need .ssh and .subversion linked to root?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 at 21:01, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Those can be mounted as docker secrets.
>
> https://docs.docker.com/engine/swarm/secrets/

Well, yes, but personal secret files are not necessary for the live
version of Whimsy, so why should they be needed for the Docker
version?

Are they needed at all in Docker?

> While the docs mention this being for docker swarm, you don't need any
> more instances of docker in your "swarm" than your existing desktop
> one. Alternatively, this could use docker volumes to mount your
> existing .ssh and .subversion directories from your user to the docker
> image.

That's what happens currently, but I cannot work out why they are
needed (if indeed they are).

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.