Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Jones <sc...@on-sitemanager.com> on 2001/09/06 18:05:21 UTC

Fallbacks for load-balanced mod_jk workers

Hello,

I am setting up a set of boxes as follows.  There are two machines
running Apache 1.3.19 and then there are three machines running tomcat
3.2.3.  I have a worker linking each of the apache machines to each
tomcat server (for a total of 6 tomcat instances).

What I'm wondering is say for some awful reason that all three of my
tomcat servers are down.  Is there any way that I can have mod_jk link
to something else that might just say "we're down right now, please
check back soon" or something like that?  Does the lb worker type have
any kind of mechanism for this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Fallbacks for load-balanced mod_jk workers

Posted by David Cassidy <dc...@hotgen.com>.
What you might find the easiest is to use apache's
ErrorDocument 500 <url>

command very useful.

If tomcat is down apache generates a 500 error.

Apache can then intercept that and use a page ( static HTML/CGI/Other
URL)
to generate a 'we've gone walkies for a bit - back soon' type message

David
PS I know this - it bit me in the ass.

Posted by Simon Oldeboershuis <so...@outermedia.de>.
Hi Scott,

if you are using apache you can do something like

  ErrorDocument 500
http://www.reliable-server.com/serverDown/message.html

If any errors occurs with the connectors, the html page is shown or
another failsafe tomcat ;-)

I never tested it with more than one worker, but it should work just
fine.

Cheers,

Simon