Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Beth Curotto <bc...@abni.com> on 2005/06/07 22:13:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Name-based Virtual Host

I have setup 2 virtual hosts in httpd.conf
I have one external ip address being nat'd to an internal ip
I would like to use both websites directed to the same external, to then be
handled by httpd.conf.

Am I on target so far?

One of the Virtual Hosts is for - www.mowingandmore.net

The DNS info for this site is set through Network Solutions. It is pointing
to 66.196.225.50
But when I try website name it defaults to general/default DocumentRoot, not
the one I set in the VirtualHost

This is my Virtual Host setup in httpd.conf .......

NameVirtualHost 66.196.225.50

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerSignature email
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
    LogLevel debug
    HostNameLookups off
</VirtualHost>

# Virtual Host 0
<VirtualHost 66.196.225.50>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/abni
    ServerName abni.com
    ServerSignature email
</VirtualHost>

# Virtual Host 1
<VirtualHost 66.196.225.50>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/mow
    ServerName mowingandmore.net
    ServerSignature email
</VirtualHost>

default DocumentRoot is /var/www/html
external ip is 66.196.225.50

Can someone tell me where I am missing the boat.

Thanks in advance, Beth

RE: [users@httpd] Name-based Virtual Host

Posted by Beth Curotto <bc...@abni.com>.
More like this....?

NameVirtualHost *:80

# Virtual Host 1
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAlias www.mowingandmore.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/mow
    ServerName mowingandmore.net
    ServerSignature email
</VirtualHost>

Is there anywhere else on this box I need to note any virtual host info?
I am running under CentOS 3 (RHEL clone)
DNS info doesnt's have to point to :80 does it, just 66.196.225.50?

Thanks for the help
----------------------

> I have setup 2 virtual hosts in httpd.conf
> I have one external ip address being nat'd to an internal ip
> I would like to use both websites directed to the same external, to then
be
> handled by httpd.conf.
>
> Am I on target so far?
>
> One of the Virtual Hosts is for - www.mowingandmore.net
>
> The DNS info for this site is set through Network Solutions. It is
pointing
> to 66.196.225.50
> But when I try website name it defaults to general/default DocumentRoot,
not
> the one I set in the VirtualHost
>
> This is my Virtual Host setup in httpd.conf .......
>
> NameVirtualHost 66.196.225.50

The NameVirtualHost must refer to the IP address as seen from the
server -- behind the NAT.  To avoid this complication, simply use
NameVirtualHost *:80 as recommended by the docs.  Also use
<VirtualHost *:80> to match.

> # Virtual Host 1
> <VirtualHost 66.196.225.50>
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/mow
>     ServerName mowingandmore.net
>     ServerSignature email
> </VirtualHost>

> Can someone tell me where I am missing the boat.

You are also missing a
ServerAlias www.mowingandmore.net
inside the <VirtualHost> container.

Joshua.