Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Soft <so...@gmx.ch> on 2010/01/26 12:05:23 UTC

file *.a ignored

Hello

I use an subversion 1.5 server on Linux system with Linux and Windows clients. On Windows we use Tortoise 1.5.9 and Subclipse in Eclipse. Some projects need to add *.a files to the repository. These files are ignored by default if not explicit added. Is this intended or a bug?

Lets say I move a file to a working copy with the extension *.a. It gets immediately marked as ignored. I don't have the "global ignored" parameter set. This is very annoying since my projects have many *.a files in different folders.

Best Regards

Re: file *.a ignored

Posted by Soft <so...@gmx.ch>.
> Note, that you have to do the above not only on the server, but on
> every client computer.

The global parameters are only in the client config as far as I know. I did
it on every client computer.

> TortoiseSVN configuration dialog updates the registry setting. See
> Settings > General > Global ignore pattern.

I found a fix on the Tortoise Mailinglist. Tortoise has, besides the usual
config file a Registry entry for global ignores. I had to enter something in
the Global ignore pattern to create that key. Then have to delete it again.

Kind regards

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/1/26 Soft <so...@gmx.ch>:
> Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it didn't help.
>
> I did remove the comment on the global-ignores line. It didn't help. *.a
> files are still marked as ignored.
> This is a snipped of the config file.
>
> [miscellany]
> ### Set global-ignores to a set of whitespace-delimited globs
> ### which Subversion will ignore in its 'status' output.
> global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

Note, that you have to do the above not only on the server, but on
every client computer.

Also on Windows the settings can also be stored in the Windows
registry, and AFAIK registry takes precedence over configuration files
(see README.txt in the configuration directory).

TortoiseSVN configuration dialog updates the registry setting. See
Settings > General > Global ignore pattern.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: file *.a ignored

Posted by Soft <so...@gmx.ch>.
As I said, I'm using Subclipse and Tortoise on Windows.

I found a fix on the Tortoise mailing list. Tortoise has, besides the usual
config file a Registry Key for global ignores. My assumption that all
clients use the same config file was wrong, but I also didn't find any
registry entries. Tortoise creates that key only if you put something in the
Global ignore line.

Solution for Tortoise:

I had to enter something in the Global ignore pattern, press apply and clear
it again. That way Tortoise accepts all files.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

> Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it didn't help.
>
> I did remove the comment on the global-ignores line. It didn't help. *.a
> files are still marked as ignored.
> This is a snipped of the config file.
>
> [miscellany]
> ### Set global-ignores to a set of whitespace-delimited globs
> ### which Subversion will ignore in its 'status' output.
> global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store

Which client are you using? Are you sure you edited the correct config file
for that client?

Re: file *.a ignored

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: file *.a ignored

Posted by Soft <so...@gmx.ch>.
Yes, if I add them with "svn add" command  it works. It really seams to be a
Subclipse and Tortoise problem. I tried kdsvn and Ankh snv clients and both
accepted the *.a files.

Thank you for the links. I'll try on those mailing lists.

Kind regards

> On Windows we use Tortoise 1.5.9 and Subclipse in Eclipse.
[...]
> Lets say I move a file to a working copy with the extension *.a. It
gets
> immediately marked as ignored.
[...]
> I did remove the comment on the global-ignores line. It didn't help.
*.a
> files are still marked as ignored.

Can you try adding the files using "svn add" on the command-line?

If that works, I suggest you ask on the Tortoise and Subclipse mailing
lists, as it might be client-specific.  Those mailing lists are here:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=4061

http://subclipse.tigris.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=1047

Kind regards,

Jon

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely
for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of Cabot Communications Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you
must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to
anyone.

Cabot Communications Limited
Verona House, Filwood Road, Bristol BS16 3RY, UK
+44 (0) 1179584232

Co. Registered in England number 02817269

error.

RE: file *.a ignored

Posted by Jon Foster <Jo...@cabot.co.uk>.
Hi,

Re: file *.a ignored

From: "Ryan Schmidt" Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:00 PM

On Jan 26, 2010, at 06:05, Soft wrote:

> I use an subversion 1.5 server on Linux system with Linux and Windows
> clients. On Windows we use Tortoise 1.5.9 and Subclipse in Eclipse. Some
> projects need to add *.a files to the repository. These files are ignored
> by default if not explicit added. Is this intended or a bug?
>
> Lets say I move a file to a working copy with the extension *.a. It gets
> immediately marked as ignored. I don't have the "global ignored" parameter
> set. This is very annoying since my projects have many *.a files in
> different folders.

This is the intended behavior. *.a is in the default global-ignores. If you
don't want to ignore .a files, set a global-ignores line that does not
mention .a files.

Re: file *.a ignored

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.