Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Michael Müller <mi...@mueller-bruehl.de> on 2010/03/09 22:01:41 UTC

pdfbox development / documentation

Hi,

It seems my question / annotation to pdfbox development started something.
Yes, and as I stated before I like to support this project (even I only
have a small amount of time). As Andreas and other suggested,
documentation will be a good starting point.

To get a bird's view, please let me start with a short interview:

What is the main goal of pdfbox?
a) programmers API for reading PDF files
b) programmers API for creating PDF files
c) programmers API for manipulating PDF files
d) command line tool to interact with pdf files
e) all of them are peers (universal tool)
f) other

Best,
Michael

Re: pdfbox development / documentation

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Others may see it differently, but from my perspective, PDFBox is a library
for evaluating existing PDF's.
It includes some command-line tools that make its functionality more
accessible, but those are not the core of PDFBox.
It has some capabilities for editing existing PDF's, but those, afaik, are
rather limited.
It has some capability for creating PDF's, but those capabilities are not
very mature.

So for current capabilities, I go back to my original statement: PDFBox is a
library for evaluating existing PDF's.

"Evaluating" may not be the best verb.  Early on, most of the work seemed to
be in extracting text, and improvement continues there, but that is a fairly
mature capability.  More recently, a lot of work has gone rendering PDF's on
the screen, and that is also fairly mature ... with a few quirks remaining.

Daniel

Posted by "Martinez, Mel - 1004 - MITLL" <m....@ll.mit.edu>.
My vote: (e) all of them are peers

Ultimately, it will be what the community makes it to be.