Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2002/10/08 23:01:08 UTC

data sharing presentation

Hi doc folks,

I have this presentation from OSCON on data sharing for mod_perl, which
is in PowerPoint.  I can generate HTML from it, but it comes out pretty
big and doesn't fit the style of the rest of the site.  I plan to make a
nice article version of this with simple POD formatting, but haven't
done it yet.  Is there any point in trying to put up the HTML version of
the PowerPoint in the meantime, or is it not worth the trouble?

- Perrin

Re: data sharing presentation

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> As for 1MB PDF, I see no problem with that. We can compress it a bit.

Also, feel free to modify the PowerPoint (remove the background, for
example) if it makes the PDF smaller.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 05:51 30.11.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Perrin Harkins wrote:

>>> Let's try that.  I am setting up a newer, faster Linux box and plan
>>> to run an expanded set of benchmarks on it for the article, but I'd
>>> like to put this up before then because people keep asking questions
>>> about this stuff.
>>> (Attachment will follow in a private mail.)
>>

>> And?
>

> I'm sorry, I wasn't able to follow up on this. The PDF takes a lot of
> space (1 MB), and I'm not so sure as to how to organize the talks
> section. But I'll do something about it now anyway.

Take your time, Per Einar, I just wanted to make sure that it didn't
fall between chairs :)

As for 1MB PDF, I see no problem with that. We can compress it a bit.
But it's still better to have this one rather than nothing.

Re: data sharing presentation

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no

Re: data sharing presentation

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
At 23:01 08.10.2002, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>Hi doc folks,
>
>I have this presentation from OSCON on data sharing for mod_perl, which is
>in PowerPoint.  I can generate HTML from it, but it comes out pretty big
>and doesn't fit the style of the rest of the site.  I plan to make a nice
>article version of this with simple POD formatting, but haven't done it
>yet.  Is there any point in trying to put up the HTML version of the
>PowerPoint in the meantime, or is it not worth the trouble?

Hi Perrin,

I agree, PowerPoint HTML is really bad, and wouldn't work out well for the
site. I suggest that we wait for your article, which I'm sure will be
interesting.

Or actually, here's another solution: I just checked, and you can actually
choose to save a PowerPoint presentation as a set of PNG files. This would
be better. Except if you have a lot of notes together with your slides,
which would be lost in this process (but could be re-added manually). Or,
alternatively, you send me the PowerPoint file, and I convert it to a PDF
file through Acrobat Distiller.

What do you think?

I actually had plans of making a "Conferences" section on the site, but
that's been pretty much on hold for a while. The best would be to get a
consistent format in which to present slides and notes, so that we could
share presentations with everyone (AxPoint comes to mind, and then write a
translator for DocSet that handles that).

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no