Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/10 20:27:40 UTC

Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

There are two other issues to discuss for the Subversion podling:

* placing the source code at /subversion/ rather than /incubator/subversion/

We are hoping to minimize overall disruption to the community with a
move to incubator space, then a move to apache space.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Easy: no, unless you have the same open source track
record and constitution of apache folks as subversion does.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> LOL
>>
>> Well... the problem is that an "svn mv" from /incubator/subversion/ to
>> /subversion/ introduces an artificial breakage in the history. It is
>> actually quite disruptive for tracking history (which is very
>> important to us).
>>

> Sounds like an excellent task to solve for subversion 1.7. :-)

Heh. It's the sort of task-to-solve I've been ranting about^W^Whoping
for on and off for ... what, nine years or so? :)

But now that we're joining the ASF, I'll magically have more time on my
hands to do it.

-- Brane

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL
>
> Well... the problem is that an "svn mv" from /incubator/subversion/ to
> /subversion/ introduces an artificial breakage in the history. It is
> actually quite disruptive for tracking history (which is very
> important to us).

Sounds like an excellent task to solve for subversion 1.7. :-)

Martijn

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Now that you have explained :) +1 from me.

-- dims

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
LOL

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
The project status will stay there and be maintained as long as we're
incubating. That's my initial draft to get it into the system. I need
to spend more time with it (but have spent time getting other
discussions/tasks "into the pipeline"). I'm just about out of that
stuff, so will go update that some more :-)

Regarding the project website itself... I think we'll just leave that
at subversion.tigris.org until after graduation (I haven't brought it
up w/ the community, whether we want to migrate pre-graduation, and
(therefore) want to go straight to subversion.a.o)

Thanks,
-g

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
How about the website ? (I can not find any information about the
project, mentors, committers etc.. )

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/subversion.html

-Deepal
> There are two other issues to discuss for the Subversion podling:

> * placing the source code at /subversion/ rather than /incubator/subversion/
>
> We are hoping to minimize overall disruption to the community with a
> move to incubator space, then a move to apache space.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org
http://deepal.org

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 22:17, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 21:09, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I am fine with doing everything as if this was a TLP with the two exceptions that 1) the main page should say it is still in incubation 2) it is still under the umbrella of the IPMC until graduation.
>
> "the main page" ... are you referring to http://subversion.tigris.org/
> ? Regardless, yeah.. that thing should be updated to reflect the
> project's new status. If a different page, then please let me know,
> and I'll make it happen.

I've updated subversion.tigris.org (subject to hourly sync).

Cheers,
-g

(a bare version can be seen in source control:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/www/index.html)

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 22:41, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

>>> I am fine with doing everything as if this was a TLP with the two exceptions that 1) the main page should say it is still in incubation 2) it is still under the umbrella of the IPMC until graduation.
>>
>> "the main page" ... are you referring to http://subversion.tigris.org/
>> ? Regardless, yeah.. that thing should be updated to reflect the
>> project's new status. If a different page, then please let me know,
>> and I'll make it happen.
>
> No. http://subversion.apache.org. I saw the comment about keeping the main page at subversion.tigris.org but i see no reason it shouldn't move to apache during incubation. The tigris page can stay up as long as they want but should eventually redirect to Apache.

Ah. Definitely.

We (the podling) haven't really talked much about the web pages. I'll
throw that out.

(btw, if anyone wants to monitor svn pre-mailing-list-move, then
subscribe to dev@subversion.tigris.org; our equiv of private@ has been
silent, and should be staying that way until we move to apache.org)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Nov 10, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> There are two other issues to discuss for the Subversion podling:

> * placing the source code at /subversion/ rather than /incubator/subversion/
>
> We are hoping to minimize overall disruption to the community with a
> move to incubator space, then a move to apache space.

I am fine with doing everything as if this was a TLP with the two exceptions that 1) the main page should say it is still in incubation 2) it is still under the umbrella of the IPMC until graduation.

Ralph

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> There are two other issues to discuss for the Subversion podling:

> * placing the source code at /subversion/ rather than /incubator/
> subversion/
>
> We are hoping to minimize overall disruption to the community with a
> move to incubator space, then a move to apache space.

That seems fine to me.

--kevan

Re: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, and yes: agreed on the rationale.

And have no fears. We aren't going to back out. And I'm not seeing
that the ASF would boot us. So that just means we need to work through
it :-)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.