Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/28 23:23:56 UTC

cleanup Ivy DependencyResolver interface

Hi,

after my changes to fix IVY-716, the following methods on DependencyResolver are no longer used:

String[] listTokenValues(String token, Map otherTokenValues);
 OrganisationEntry[] listOrganisations();
ModuleEntry[] listModules(OrganisationEntry org);
RevisionEntry[] listRevisions(ModuleEntry module);

Shall I start removing these methods (and all related code), or will we keep them (maybe deprecated) to avoid breaking external code that is using the DependencyResolver interface directly?

Maarten

Re: cleanup Ivy DependencyResolver interface

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after my changes to fix IVY-716, the following methods on
> DependencyResolver are no longer used:
>
> String[] listTokenValues(String token, Map otherTokenValues);
>  OrganisationEntry[] listOrganisations();
> ModuleEntry[] listModules(OrganisationEntry org);
> RevisionEntry[] listRevisions(ModuleEntry module);
>
> Shall I start removing these methods (and all related code), or will we
> keep them (maybe deprecated) to avoid breaking external code that is using
> the DependencyResolver interface directly?

I think 2.0 is a unique opportunity to remove them, so I'd remove them.
Maybe to ease migration we can still keep and deprecate them in resolvers
implementation (AbstractResolver and subclasses), so that people who really
want to use them can still cast their resolver in AbstractResolver.

BTW it seems that some of these methods are still used by
SearchEngine#findModuleRevisionIds(DependencyResolver, ModuleRevisionId,
PatternMatcher), which in turn is not used. I think we should remove this
method too (it has been introduced in 2.0 anyway, so there's no BC contract
at all).

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/