Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> on 2007/01/28 18:38:16 UTC

Contributions and Developments

Hi

There's been an interesting discussion going on in the OFBiz dev e-mail
forum that has some ramifications on users, and any contributions they
care to make. You can follow the actual discussion from starting here:
http://www.nabble.com/Refactoring-Create-Order-process-during-OFBiz-
Developers-Conference-Sponsored-by-Hotwax-Media-tf3118353.html#a8668236
and under a new subject line, Intellectual Property and Sandbox SVN.
(not in nabble yet.)

Anyway, to over-simplify things we were discussing the procedure and
legalities of making collaborative contributions to OFBiz.

The way OFBiz is currently structured, any new code, because it can go
right into production, needs to have a high degree of usefulness and
general testing before it is even be considered for inclusion into the
project. This is good, but it has meant that half-baked user
contributions, or works-in-progress have often not been shared with the
community, and that has meant that the community hasn't been able to do
the one thing open-source software does better than any other
development modality I've ever seen, make gold out of an idea and a
buggy proto-type through the collaboration of many hands.

I would to see if we can attract more of these works-in-progress
contributions and organize them within the Apache OFBiz project so we
can collaborate on their development.

One idea that was proposed was to create a collaborative space outside
of Apache OFBiz (external sandbox) to work on these various project.
Unfortunately, collaborative works designed outside of Apache OFBiz need
special treatment before they can be integrated into the project, an
onerous task that limits the run-away viability of these efforts.

I then suggested an svn sandbox where non-committers could work on
contributions that are not fit for production, but are considered a
legal Apache OFBiz contribution, but idea was nixed because it would
take too much work to create and manage the space and committers, and,
it'd probably be a real mess.

The most workable idea at this time involves using the jira issue
tracker to submit patches that implement a new feature. This solution
isn't the best because it may involve a lot of patch applications, that
can be alleviated if a committer creates what I'll call a feature
sandbox, or inactive code in the svn repository that can be developed
collaboratively. This process should go much more smoothly soon,
however, as OFBiz is intending to almost double the number of
committers.

So, does anyone have any works-in-progress they would like to share with
the community and open up to a more collaborative development?

Thanks

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Illusion-Optical.com
http://www.Card-Offer.com      http://www.RackWine.com
http://www.JokesBlonde.com     http://www.Brain-Fun.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Contributions and Developments

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

 > Hopefully what I wrote clears this up a bit. Again, the documents on
 > www.apache.org/dev clarify a lot of these issues.

Clear.

 > it is ultimately the responsibility of the PMC to take care of this, and that
 > responsibility is delegated to non-PMC committers (though PMC members should
 > still review commits and issues to check on this).

True. I'd say the "ease/rate of integration of contribution into OFBiz" depends on
motivation/impetus. If I wanted my contributions merged in fast, I'd do my part to aid the PMC in
their responsibility to keep the source clean.

Somebody (don't know who) mentioned "sabotage via contribution of unclean codes". I guess that
means it's dangerous to "shake hands with just about any external contributor, and commit
contributions based on good faith alone".

Jonathon

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David, all,

> On Jan 28, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Jonathon,
> >
> > Just one word to be sure you understand your responsability by
> > opening your "sandbox" to other users without contracts between you
> > (hence creating a joint work as pointed out by Chris). You will
> > have to get through this procedure
> > http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Not necessarily. It is up to the committers to review this, but the
> general guideline is to distinguish (as explained on that page and in
> related documents) based on how and why it was developed.

After having read (or re-read) carefully this documents (including
http://www.apache.org/licenses,
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html,
http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/community.txt,
http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/software-grant.txt)

I can't see how the "how and why" is striclty determined.
Could you please explain this more clearly or give the exact links where to find such informations ?

Moreover in
http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/community.txt,
I read
<<... you agree to only submit a Contribution
   when you are the copyright owner of that Contribution or when you
   have obtained the owner's permission to make said Contribution on
   their behalf.  It is your responsibility to notify the Foundation of
   any conditions that apply to the communication that might make it
   ineligible for Contribution...>>

That's exactly what I intended to explain to Jonathon. My goal is not to annoy anybody with this kind of mails, including Joanthon
of course. But to try to help Jonathon to understand the "sandbox problem".  I know that this can be really boring (for my part I'm
completly exhausted by those researches, notably on joint work issue) but I'm sure everybody understand the importance and scope.
Finally, I know that this document is not yet official as it's explained on its top. But if I understand well it shall be soon as
explained in http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/#clas)

Please note also in http://www.apache.org/licenses/proposed/software-grant.txt
<<...Licensor's patent grant above shall terminate with respect to any
      party that institutes patent litigation against the Licensor
      (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging
      that the Software constitutes direct or contributory patent
      infringement, as of the date such litigation is filed....>>

> For example, if someone fixes a bug in OFBiz in almost any case if it
> is contributed back then the how and why is pretty clear. The amount
> of time that lapses between doing it an contributing it doesn't
> really matter.
>
> > If you don't and don't tell us (commiters) you will be the sole
> > responsable because of our good faith (not knowing that it comes not
> > only from you).
>
> This is a dangerous idea Jacques. It is the responsibility of all
> committers to make sure the source of the code is clear, especially
> where it may have been developed independently and not intended to go
> into OFBiz but someone else took it and contributed it. Under no
> circumstances is it okay for that code to go into OFBiz, and it is
> ultimately the responsibility of the PMC to take care of this, and
> that responsibility is delegated to non-PMC committers (though PMC
> members should still review commits and issues to check on this).

What I wanted to point out is how a commiter may know that a contribution is from only one person of a group if that person don't
tell it when proposing to include his work (with of course the eventual needed documents) ?
This is just what may happen if sandbox usage becomes common.

I know that all this may appear for some person too emphatic, but please think a bit about what may happen if OFBiz become more and
more used and recognized...

> > This is only my opininon and not commiters's or PMC's or even
> > ASF's, of course.
>
> Hopefully what I wrote clears this up a bit. Again, the documents on
> www.apache.org/dev clarify a lot of these issues.

Yes thanks and I know that I have still to learn in this area. I hope to have been clear, please correct me if I'm missing or
misunderstanding some points.

Jacques

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
There is an interesting discussion that has been going on for the last
week on the incubator general mailing list:
http://www.nabble.com/-Vote--Incubating-Project-Policy-tf3158407.html
regarding this and similar topics.

#2 I believe was clarified by Robert Burrell Donkin in
http://tinyurl.com/yqsvdd
I believe David's "almost any case" scenario is speaking specifically
of contributions by committers, not of contributions by noncommitters
as I had understood it when I replied.  Please let me know if I've
misinterpreted Robert's message. I wanted to clarify that for everyone
instead of leaving the question open-ended like it is.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jonathon,

Just one word to be sure you understand your responsability by opening your "sandbox" to other users without contracts between you
(hence creating a joint work as pointed out by Chris). You will have to get through this procedure
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

If you don't and don't tell us (commiters) you will be the sole responsable because of our good faith (not knowing that it comes not
only from you).

This is only my opininon and not commiters's or PMC's or even ASF's, of course.

Thanks for your attention

Jacques

PS : if you have any doubt please consider searching this sentence with Google : "a work prepared by two or more authors with the
intention that their contributions be merged into inseparable or interdependent parts of a unitary whole"

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
Ok...  I missed the right now.  I definitely understand that it takes a
bit to put together a "clean patch."  However, I would like to see if we
could have people even send in to jira their messy patches if they did
some work that will probably be of real value and don't have the time.
Last year it seemed like every few months someone would be working on
Authorize.net and asking if anyone had started the effort.

--

> The same SVN tricks can be applied to an Apache sandbox, so I don't understand the "too much work
> to create and manage" argument.

In the original idea, anyone would be able to become a committer, only
they would be limited to working in the sandbox. Unfortunately becoming
an Apache contributor is a big deal with a significant bit of paperwork,
a process that is much better reserved for dedicated developers.

If anyone who wanted was allowed commit access the sandbox, it would
likely become a huge mess. Managing it might then take more time and
effort than it was worth. It's possible this could be avoided, but the
point is moot due to the difficultly of allowing anyone Apache
contributor status.

This, with the fact that we may soon be almost doubling the number of
committers suggests that sandboxed features applied by the contributors
would much better be applied in the appropriate module in a way that
won't effect the operation of the software unless it is manually
switched on until it's well tested.

Thanks

Daniel

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.