Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2009/01/09 15:21:18 UTC

adding payrol

I am looking to add payroll functions.

anybody any ideas/concerns?

actions:
1. add entity "PayCheckItem" with key paymentId and paymentItemSeqId and with "PayCheckItemType" and other fields
2. add services, screens ad forms in accounting
3. add automatic calculation using data from HR

input appreciated!

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Yes you are right,

i am looking into it, in my spare free time,
Regards,
Hans

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Eva Bowman <eb...@globalera.com>.
Hi Hans,

It worked!  Thank you.... Eva

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Eva Bowman <eb...@globalera.com>.
Hello Hans,

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Eva,

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates

Re: adding payrol

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
how we make sure that that only payrolInvoice itemtypes can be selected
on input? The InvoiceItemTypeMap entity needs a special invoiceType

i also want to add automatically the basic payrolInvoice item types
where the user just have to fill in the values...

and probably there are more special operations for the new invoiceType
called "salary"

regards,
Hans

Re: adding payrol

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi David,

Re: adding payrol

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: adding payrol

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 9, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> --- On Fri, 1/9/09, David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
>> For some dose of reality, how I see it anyway, is that
>> Payroll companies don't usually do much pay calculation.
>> In many cases they just get the pre-calculated numbers and
>> generate checks, and maybe help with some simple calculation
>> of taxes and other deductions. If they do anything very
>> complex it is custom code... not something OOTB in any
>> system (or rather, combined with OOTB parameterized things
>> that are somewhat complex, but you can only do so much when
>> guessing in advance). If it's going to be custom it
>> requires analysis and design just like anything else, and
>> might as well be implemented in OFBiz as in a separate
>> system that doesn't have access to the company's
>> data that would be used in the calculations.
>
> I have been writing and supporting payroll software for over 20
> years, and I can assure you, that is NOT how payroll processing
> companies work. You supply them with employee info (marital status,
> withholding allowances, payrate, benefits, etc) and they calculate
> what the employee should be paid, print the check, PLUS provide all
> of the necessary tax forms for local, state and federal taxes, as
> well as group insurance payments, etc.
>
> The payroll service you described would not be worth the fee - it
> would be cheaper to buy a printer.

It sounds like you're describing the filling out of basic forms for
payroll processing. That's what I was referring to as the simple case
where they help you figure out the numbers for different people, ie
"help with some simple calculation of taxes and other deductions".
Those are things that most systems can handle OOTB and that change
according to tax code changes and such, but generally really aren't
that complex and usually the tax code and such is boiled down to a few
simple forms and formulas based on them. That's easy stuff, just
implement to the forms and the calculations they describe. There are
corner cases and funny laws that cause problems, and payroll companies
frequently mess these up too until they get a complaint and make a
manual fix of some sort.

What I am talking about for complex payroll stuff is when
organizations build up hundreds or thousands of different policies for
overtime, vacations, non-tax deductions, bonuses, commissions, and the
list goes on and on. Granted these are more typical for larger
organizations, but hopefully this helps clarify what I meant by simple
versus complex cases and customization that payroll outsourcing
companies don't automagically help with (like they do for the simpler
cases).

-David

Re: adding payrol moved to OFBIZ-2117

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
i moved the discussion to to OFBIZ issue:
OFBIZ-2117

shall we continue there?

Regards,
Hans

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Re: adding payrol

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
There are lots of complicated things that we handle in different ways
in OFBiz. In most cases we have light or medium complexity
implementations and touch points where people can customize to their
whim... with whatever insane complexity they want to attempt.

In this case if we have an invoice from the employee to the company
that models what the company owes the employee and we support
generating checks or other payments. We can implement some basic ways
of populating these based on certain simple inputs, and maybe even
have a variety of options available for populating the data. On top of
these end-user organizations can implement their own services for
their own craziness. However it is calculated, the results go into the
same data structure and beyond that point this data is all that we
need to do payments and such.

Re: adding payrol

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.