Posted to recruitment@openoffice.apache.org by "Famiglietti, Andrew A" <AF...@wcupa.edu> on 2017/09/14 14:43:06 UTC

Hello!

Hi Open Office Team,

I'm an professor in the English Department at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, and I'm planning to use Open Source Software documentation as a "real world" writing task for my Technical Writing Students this semester. I noticed your project was looking for documentation help on github and thought I would reach out. Some things you should know:

- I'm not going to swamp you with student pull requests. Students will file their drafts with me, first, and then I will pass them on to you only if I think they have a reasonably good end product, and I have an ok from the project
- At most two or three students might work on a given project

I was wondering:

- If you would be interested in seeing the documentation drafts students produce
- If there was any particular area of documentation you were particularly in need of

Thanks so much for your time!
?
---
Andy Famiglietti, PhD
Assistant Professor of English, West Chester University
http://copyvillain.org<http://copyvillain.org/>

Re: English Students for dicumentation

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
> Peter;
Hi Keith,
> The status of our documentation is the same as it has been for at
> least
> the last 3 years; at a standstill. We do not have people that are
> willing to shepherd the documentation, are willing to work on the
> mwiki
> and have the knowledge of technical writing to mentor the occasional
> volunteers we get that need a lot of hand holding to get started.
I had hoped the situation is a little better on @doc. However, I
expected an answer like this.

> From my reading of professor Famiglietti's e-mail on doc@ I am unsure
> whether what he is suggesting would be of help or not. I have tried 3
> or
> 4 different times to get the documentation sub-project active and
> working with no success and I do not have the energy nor the
> inclination
> to beat my head against that brick wall again.
Well, I think the Idea of Professor Famiglietti is a great opportunity.
So lets try that. It is definitly worth a shot.

> I will commit to reply to professor Famiglietti on doc@ and explain
> where we are at with the User Guides and what help he thinks he and
> his
> students could provide.
Thanks a lot, for taking care on this opportunity, however the outcome
might be :-)

> Regards
> Keith
All the Best