Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> on 2007/06/07 22:41:26 UTC

Bamboo

Hi all,

Atlassian, makers of Confluence and JIRA, have a new continuous
integration product called Bamboo out.  I've begun an evaluation for use
at Servprise, and so far it seems quite nice.  It can integrate with
JIRA and subversion fairly nicely.  Is there any interest in applying
for an OSS license and setting something up to auto-build & test our
various branches?  As a nice side effect, the generated artifacts could
be used as nightlies.

Kevin Menard
Servprise International, Inc.
800.832.3823 x308

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
That server is still available if wanted.  It is a G5 Xserve with PostgreSQL
running and I could probably start up MySQL.  We don't have other DBs on it,
though.  We also got in a nice Intel Xserve (4 cores), but I haven't
configured it yet (I seem to have too much going on), so it isn't running
much of anything and I don't know that I can make it available, but I can
check if there is interest (although the G5 is still plenty fast enough).  I
believe Java 1.4 and 1.5 are on both.

Thanks,

/dev/mrg

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
>>> What do you think?
>> IMHO you should try TeamCity from Jetbrains instead of Bamboo:
>> http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/
>>
>> It's much more powerful and easier to use than the concurrent
>> products and since Cayenne is an open source project you'll
>> get a license for free (this is true for IntelliJ licenses as
>> well so the argument that it costs doesn't hold IMHO ).
>
> Do you have a qualitative assessment of it compared to Bamboo?
It's much better, with dynamic and quicker release cycle, and it's more about the fine details
that make the everyday work easier. It also combines with lot of smart features
(that IntelliJ users are use to since years).
I evaluated for a customer last month the top CI tools and TeamCity won by far the race from
all points of view. Bamboo is good to, but TC is simply brilliant.
If you need something that is just "good enough" than of course Bamboo will to it too :) (other
want however simply the best :) ).

> I'm not
> ruling it out, I just don't have experience with it.  I also don't see
> all of us jumping over to use IntelliJ just for Cayenne (the move to
> maven2 makes this hard anyway), so if TeamCity doesn't play nice with
> others, that may be a major hurdle.
TeamCity does play well with all the other IDEs - even with .NET - see the website.

> Given that we do use commercial software with open source licenses, I
> don't follow your second paragraph at all.  It reads like a tangent for
> the sake of tangents.
No it's not. It's the very frequent argument here on Apache forums lists or blogs against
some commercial products that have open source alternatives (but don't have such big corporations
behind) :) .

Ahmed.

RE: Re: Bamboo

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Do you have a qualitative assessment of it compared to Bamboo?  I'm not

--
Kevin

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Zone is a good idea if we want to run it for ourselves only. But just
like with Jira and Confluence there likely be other projects who'd
like to jump on it as well, so there's a benefit to the shared
infrastructure. Maybe we should ping infra about it, and proceed
putting it on the zone if nobody expresses interest in deploying a
integration build server. BTW, there's an Anthill thread going on the
infra list right now - we may join the discussion.

On the other hand Cayenne has special testing requirements (such as
access to multiple, often obscure, database engines), so maybe an
isolated install is the way to go. I think having a Cayenne zone is a
great idea regardless whether we use it for continuous integration or
not.

> Be aware that so far it appears that the ASF continuous build tool of
> choice appears to be Maven's Continuum.   From what I've seen on the
> MyFaces lists, Continuum seems to frequently have problems.

I was gonna try Continuum some time ago, but the documentation was
lacking and confusing, so I quickly lost interest. My vote would be
for a commercial product.

Andrus

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bamboo

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

RE: Bamboo

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

That sounds reasonable to me.  I haven't tried to migrate any settings
if we do decide to stick with it, but I've never had a problem doing it
with Confluence or JIRA.

--
Kevin

Re: Bamboo