Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/06/08 05:12:48 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA Parent Pom Top version 1 release-candidate-2

The UIMA parent-pom-top, release candidate 2, is ready for testing.
It is located here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-042/
The SVN is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/build/tags/parent-pom-top-1-rc2

Suggestted way to test: add this to your maven "settings" in the
<profiles> section:

    <profile>
      <id>staged-release</id>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>staged-release</id>

<url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-042/</url>
        </repository>
      </repositories>
    </profile>

and then change the pom(s)-under-test version for the parent-pom-top
from "1-SNAPSHOT" to "1".

Then run a maven command with the parameter -Pstaged-release which tells
maven to use this profile.

I tested this by building the uima-as docbook successfully (modifying
parent-pom-docbook to use version 1).

The main thing to check here is that this release follows Apache
requirements for license and notice, and that it works with the current
build artifacts.

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] 0
[ ] -1

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Parent Pom Top version 1 release-candidate-2

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
I had time to make some tests with only a couple of sandbox components and
things went well so far, however it would be good to have some more
documentation about the new build system :)
Tommaso

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

[VOTE][RESULT] Release UIMA Parent Pom Top version 1 release-candidate-2

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Just marking this in the subject line as the [RESULT]. -Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I've built uimaj and uima-as.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> The UIMA parent-pom-top, release candidate 2, is ready for testing.
> It is located here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-042/
> The SVN is
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/build/tags/parent-pom-top-1-rc2
>
> Suggestted way to test: add this to your maven "settings" in the
> <profiles> section:
>
>    <profile>
>      <id>staged-release</id>
>      <repositories>
>        <repository>
>          <id>staged-release</id>
>
> <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-042/
> </url>
>        </repository>
>      </repositories>
>    </profile>
>
> and then change the pom(s)-under-test version for the parent-pom-top
> from "1-SNAPSHOT" to "1".
>
> Then run a maven command with the parameter -Pstaged-release which tells
> maven to use this profile.
>
> I tested this by building the uima-as docbook successfully (modifying
> parent-pom-docbook to use version 1).
>
> The main thing to check here is that this release follows Apache
> requirements for license and notice, and that it works with the current
> build artifacts.
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1

+1

I verified I could build all of uimaj using this parent-pom-top release
candidate.

-Adam

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Parent Pom Top version 1 release-candidate-2

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I knew it was a good practice to update the svn tag - so I tagged this
as ...-1-rc2.  However, it seems that the Maven instructions for rolling
back and redo-ing a release led me to expect that the release number
would be the same.  Maven instructions for releasing a Maven-based
project at Apache, include a ref to this guide for testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
which says to purge your local repo (and any repository manager you
might be using) after testing, to avoid keeping around a potentially
failed release.

Because I "dropped" the only place where the previous "release" was
staged (in the staging repo), no one can get that release anymore.  But
it is possible that users could forget to purge their local copies. As
you note, bumping up the release number would avoid this.

Thanks for your good mentoring :-) - much appreciated!

-Marshall