Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/07/08 15:41:31 UTC

ooo-dev list subscriber stats?

Is there a way for list moderators to get a tally of list subscribers?
 Or is this an admin permission?

I'm interesting in knowing how many people are currently subscribed,
especially a sense of the ratio of "lurkers" to active participants,
contributors to users, etc.  This could be one indication of whether
we are ready for a ooo-user list now.

-Rob

RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
For balance, I recommend lurking on [libreoffice-users] and [libreoffice-documentation].  The developers list (counterpart of ooo-dev, right down to patch pushing), [libreoffice] is part of a separate system.  This list is useful, especially for the tech steering committee minutes, and it may provide more visibility on issues that are being addressed in current builds, betas, and release candidates there.

For reasons that escape me, there are user, documentation and technical issues on the steering-discuss@documentfoundation.org and some on the discuss@documentfoundation.org lists too.

 - Dennis

On Jul 8, 2011, at 6:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> Is there a way for list moderators to get a tally of list subscribers?
> Or is this an admin permission?

On another thread and list I saw this:

"Email ooo-dev-help@ from your moderator address for more information."

> I'm interesting in knowing how many people are currently subscribed,
> especially a sense of the ratio of "lurkers" to active participants,
> contributors to users, etc.  This could be one indication of whether
> we are ready for a ooo-user list now.

I have been lurking on users@openoffice.org - there have been approximately 130 emails since June 24. Not a very high volume I haven't seen anything regarding Apache OOo.

Regards,
Dave=

Re: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 8, 2011, at 6:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way for list moderators to get a tally of list subscribers?
>>> Or is this an admin permission?
>>
>> On another thread and list I saw this:
>>
>> "Email ooo-dev-help@ from your moderator address for more information."
>
> The man page for ezmlm is also online:
>
> http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman2.html#ss2.6
>
>>> I'm interesting in knowing how many people are currently subscribed,
>>> especially a sense of the ratio of "lurkers" to active participants,
>>> contributors to users, etc.  This could be one indication of whether
>>> we are ready for a ooo-user list now.
>
> You might also find the following to be helpful:
>
> http://pulse.apache.org/#ooo-dev_at_incubator.apache.org

Thanks, even better.  Someone has already crunched the numbers.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 6:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for list moderators to get a tally of list subscribers?
>> Or is this an admin permission?
>
> On another thread and list I saw this:
>
> "Email ooo-dev-help@ from your moderator address for more information."

The man page for ezmlm is also online:

http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman2.html#ss2.6

>> I'm interesting in knowing how many people are currently subscribed,
>> especially a sense of the ratio of "lurkers" to active participants,
>> contributors to users, etc.  This could be one indication of whether
>> we are ready for a ooo-user list now.

You might also find the following to be helpful:

http://pulse.apache.org/#ooo-dev_at_incubator.apache.org

> I have been lurking on users@openoffice.org - there have been approximately 130 emails since June 24. Not a very high volume I haven't seen anything regarding Apache OOo.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

- Sam Ruby

RE: ooo-dev list subscriber stats?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1:

"- introduce an AOOo blog so that the Community can follow our progress."

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Manfred,

Posted by "Manfred A. Reiter" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave, *,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Please tell me what response you did get back.

Please tell me you emailed to that help address using the same email address
in which you told us to use for your moderator address.

Thanks

Gav...

Posted by "Manfred A. Reiter" <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.