Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com> on 2020/04/15 18:53:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Integration of training materials into Apache Flink

Thank you all for the very positive response to our proposal to contribute
the training materials that have been at training.ververica.com to the
Apache Flink project. Now I’d like to begin the more detailed discussion of
how to go about this.

In that earlier thread I mentioned that we were thinking of merging the
markdown-based web pages into flink.apache.org, and to add the exercises to
flink-playgrounds. This was based on thinking that it would be something of
a maintenance headache to add the website content into the docs, where it
would have to be versioned.

Since then, a better approach has been suggested:

We already have quite a bit of “getting started” material in the docs: Code
Walkthroughs, Docker Playgrounds, Tutorials, and Examples. Having a second
location (namely flink.apache.org) where this kind of content could be
found doesn’t seem ideal. So let’s go ahead and add the expository content
from the training materials to the documentation, with pointers into the
rest of the docs (which are already present in the training), and with
pointers to the exercises (rather than including the exercise descriptions
in the docs). This will keep the content that will need more frequent
revision out of the documentation.

Then let’s create a new repo -- named flink-training -- that contains the
exercises, the solutions, and the tests that go with them, PLUS all of the
material that describes how to get setup to do the exercises, the
explanations for each exercise, and accompanying discussion material that
should be read after doing each exercise. Note that the exercise solutions
already have tests, and Travis is already being used for CI on the existing
project, so CI shouldn’t be an issue.

Action Item: would a committer or PMC member kindly volunteer to help with
creating this new flink-training repo?

With the content refactored in this way, I believe ongoing maintenance
won’t be much trouble. With each new Flink release I’ve been updating the
exercises to build against the latest release, and to avoid any newly
deprecated parts of the API. But since these exercises are focused on the
most basic parts of the API, that hasn’t been difficult. As for content
from the training website that would move into the docs, this content is
much more stable, and has only needed a gentle revision every year or two.

Regards,
David

Re: [DISCUSS] Integration of training materials into Apache Flink

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
Aljoscha, I know you've been working on the docs recently. Are you working
on the concepts section? I don't want to just drop it if someone has work
in the pipeline.

Seth

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
The Jira component has been created!

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
I'd be very happy if someone took over that part of the documentation!
There are open issues for the TODOs in the concepts section here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-12639. But feel free to
comment there/close/re-arrange as you see fit. Maybe we use this thread
and Jira to coordinate the efforts.

Aljoscha

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.