Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Lipov, Felix" <Fe...@morganstanley.com> on 2004/03/10 14:54:43 UTC

Memory Usage/Common Lib

I was wondering how the memory usage of Tomcat should compare in the
following two cases:

I have application a, b, c. Each application uses x.jar, y.jar and
z.jar.

Scenario 1:
Each application is deployed with the three jars under their respective
WEB-INF/lib directories.

Scenario 2:
Nothing is placed in the respective WEB-INF/lib directories. Rather the
three jars are placed in tomcat's common/lib directory.

Would the memory usage of tomcat differ in the two cases? I'm assuming
yes, since in the first case the classes need to be loaded three times
more. In the second scenario, the classes from the jars would only be
loaded up once. Therefore Scenario 1, in terms of memory allocated to
the classloaded would be 3x more? I would like to get some feedback to
confirm or deny this.

Thanks.

**** Important Notice to Recipients ****
It is important that you do not use e-mail to request, authorize or effect the purchase or sale of any security or commodity, to send fund transfer instructions, or to effect any other transactions. Any such request, orders, or instructions that you send will not be accepted and will not be processed by Morgan Stanley.