Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/28 11:47:27 UTC

Re: [TinkerPop] Re: JavaTranslator vs. GroovyTranslator and Gremlin bytecode compilation speeds.

> How can difference in client and server JVM compiler versions affect
bytecode evaluation by a server?

JVM versions won't matter. Gremlin bytecode is evaluated by Gremlin so, if
there were versioning issues they would be specific to TinkerPop
versioning. A client on TinkerPop 3.2.5 sending bytecode to TinkerPop 3.2.4
could potentially have a problem if the it used some new feature of 3.2.5
that wasn't available at the time of 3.2.4. As we look forward with
bytecode and serialization/protocol issues we will need to do more with our
versioning of it so that 3.2.5 could communicate without hassles to older
versions. This is a problem more generalized to remoting than just
something specific to bytecode.