Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/12 19:13:42 UTC

Basic usage surprise, update does not retrieve new files....

I have a Freepascal project I develop on both Windows and Linux.
I started in Windows and when I wanted to make a version for Linux I
checked out the Windows project to Linux.

Then I worked on the files over there.
The specific project files for linux were added in Linux and committed
to svn.
They can be viewed via the web interface in a browser so they are
definitely there.
Today I chose to go back to Windows and wanted to have the files from
the project in Linux too.
So I issued the command:
svn update
in the project dir on Windows.

Surprise!
Only a single file was retrieved and this was a common file used by
both the original project and the Linux project.
No sign of the Linux project files at all!

Aren't files added on a workstation and committed there supposed to be
retrieved when another workstation performs an update on the same
project?

What can have gone wrong here?
What can I look for on either the Windows or Linux end?
Note:
I only use svn via the command line on both Windows and Linux.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Basic usage surprise, update does not retrieve new files....

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 21:13:42 +0200, Bo Berglund
> <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >What can have gone wrong here?
>
> Wrong Depth setting on the WC...

Don't feel bad about that. I did some head scratching myself a few weeks
ago. I set svn:externals to pull dependencies from other times and places
of our monorepo, typed svn up expecting something to happen, and nothing
happened. I almost wrote to the list and then realized I had deliberately
set numerous subdirectories to depth=immediates or depth=empty, including
the directory for the dependencies. Oops.

Re: Basic usage surprise, update does not retrieve new files....

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com>.
<bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Surprise!
>Only a single file was retrieved and this was a common file used by
>both the original project and the Linux project.
>No sign of the Linux project files at all!
>
>Aren't files added on a workstation and committed there supposed to be
>retrieved when another workstation performs an update on the same
>project?
>
>What can have gone wrong here?

Wrong Depth setting on the WC...

>What can I look for on either the Windows or Linux end?

svn info showed amongst other things:

Revision: 977
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal