Posted to users@daffodil.apache.org by "Costello, Roger L." <co...@mitre.org> on 2019/05/15 15:29:31 UTC

Got a simple example which illustrates the utility of dfdl:occursCountKind='stopValue'?

Hello DFDL community,

The DFDL specification says this about dfdl:occursCountKind='stopValue'

When dfdl:occursCountKind is 'stopValue', any number of occurrences and their separators are expected followed by the stop value and its separator.

Truthfully, I don't understand what that is saying.

Do you have a simple example which illustrates the utility of 'stopValue'?

/Roger

Re: Got a simple example which illustrates the utility of dfdl:occursCountKind='stopValue'?

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>.
Stop values were added to DFDL to accommodate a number of scientific data sets which are effectively lists of floating point values terminated with 0.0 or -1.0 or other logical numeric value clearly not allowed by the application.

Here is an example:
1.0,2.3,8.6,-1.0,3.14,2.51,2.78,-1.0

The terminators of the arrays here are the recognizable -1 logical values.

No DFDL implementation know of has occursStopValue implemented, which shows that we have as yet not had much uptake in the scientific data community.