Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/07 18:34:17 UTC

Testing Teamcity build server

I have a license for Jetbrains Teamcity build server and I am evaluating it
with the Apache Directory Server svn code if anyone wants to check it out at
the URL below.  The CI build checks for SVN commits and builds on every
commit and runs Unit tests.  The Nightly Integration Tests build does a
fresh checkout and runs integration-test every night at Midnight in my
timezone.

<http://builds.organicelement.com>
http://builds.organicelement.com/overview.html?guest=1

There is an HTML snippet that we can put into a confluence page to show a
public status of the builds as well if I can get write perms to one of the
Directory confluence spaces.

Chris

Re: Testing Teamcity build server

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Ah - OK - I still have a lot more playing to do with that as well.
Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
My experiences probably were with 1.0.1 if I remember correctly.  Hopefully
it's much better now.

On 5/8/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
SNIP

That would be appreciated a lot ! We sadly don't have a lot of time to
> spend on such experiment, so if you can just give it a try and give us a
> feedback, it will be welcomed !

+1 let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Testing Teamcity build server

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Bastiaan Bakker a écrit :

>On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 16:07 +0200, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>

>>Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>>

>>>I wish I could do that but continuum is a mess at this point.  I could
>>>not
>>>get it to do anything properly but that may have just been me.  Perhaps
>>>if it improves I'd be willing to give it another try.
>>>

>>I also had it 'working' last month, but this was really messy. Not
>>really stable, and not really production ready at this point.
>>
>>Emmanuel
>>

>Would that be continuum 1.0.3 or 1.1-alpha?

1.0.3.

>According to the continuum
>folks 1.1-alpha should be a lot better than 1.0.3, both feature and
>stability wise.

I hope so ! 1.0.3 was not totally buggy, but I juts found it complex,
and difficult to manage if you have some problems with the database. Ok,
it was a month ago, so it's a little bit old ...

>I'm trying out continuum for our dev group, so I am interested in both
>positive and  negative experiences. So far, a rebuild of continuum with
>continuum was very easy: just enter to the URL of the parent POM and let
>it build.
>I'll give apacheds a try on 1.1-alpha if you haven't done so already.

That would be appreciated a lot ! We sadly don't have a lot of time to
spend on such experiment, so if you can just give it a try and give us a
feedback, it will be welcomed !

>Cheers,
>
>Bastiaan

Emmanuel

Re: Testing Teamcity build server

Posted by Bastiaan Bakker <Ba...@enovation.nl>.
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 16:07 +0200, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
> > I wish I could do that but continuum is a mess at this point.  I could
> > not
> > get it to do anything properly but that may have just been me.  Perhaps
> > if it improves I'd be willing to give it another try.
>
> I also had it 'working' last month, but this was really messy. Not
> really stable, and not really production ready at this point.
>
> Emmanuel

Would that be continuum 1.0.3 or 1.1-alpha? According to the continuum

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hey Chris,

On 5/8/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason it is down is that I was setting up the build server to
> authenticate against Apache Directory and the product has a bug so it didn't
> work...  I will get it set up properly this morning so that you can see it.

NP

On the subject of Bamboo, I think it would be a better solution if we had
> our own installation that we could manage.  Teamcity is not perfect by any
> means either.  In addition, there is Zutubi Pulse<http://zutubi.com/sales/opensource/>which offers licenses to open source projects.  One question that comes to
> mind is, are we allowed to acquire these licenses and get someone to run
> them on Apache hardware?

We could ask for a solaris zone to run our own utilities donated or
otherwise.  And yes we are allowed to acquire licenses.

Or will we be installing these and running them externally if the solution
> isn't something that infra has in place?

Infra often bulks when you ask them to install a new commercial product as
was the case with JIRA and confluence however they're perfectly fine with
giving us a solaris zone from which we can install this software and manage
it ourselves.  I guess infra just does not need more hassle with more
products they have to manage.  I don't blame them for it considering the
number of projects and the size of the foundation these days.

I can think of at least 5 build server products that I have used in the last
> 2 years that we can probably get licenses for, not on ein particular stands
> out of the crowd so we may just have to make due with the one that doesn't
> suck really bad  :-)

Right.  I think OSS solutions are particularly good since we have access to
the source but that might be too much of a hassle considering the state of
these OSS products today.  You're right that we just need to pick one for
now and get it working.  Perhaps we can re-evaluate again after 6-12 months.

Alex

Re: Testing Teamcity build server

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.