Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/02/24 12:29:29 UTC

Some questions

OK all you experienced Apache developers.....

A couple of questions :

1.  Is there a formal release process for new "releases" of code inside
Apache?

2.  Is there, for xml-security, a conformance suite of tests that should
be run?  If not, should we set one up?  (I would say yes?)

3.  The GUMP process is, as I understand it, a Java based system for
auto-building/testing code.  Is there anything equivalent for C/C++ code
that anyone is aware of (might be one for general@xml.apache.org)?  The
real value of GUMP is it auto tests changes to other libraries, and I'm
already starting to run into interesting problems when changes happen to
xerces/xalan.

4.  Is there any interest in creating a release signing process that
creates an XML based .sig file as well as the standard PGP sig?
 Probably a bit mickey mouse, but if we are creating libraries that do
signatures it might be a nice way to show how they work?

Enough for one night.

Cheers,
    Berin

Re: Some questions

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
For the C code things are a bit more problematic :<.

The code currently uses OpenSSL as the crypto implementation, but with
an abstraction layer so that we can easily tie in other libraries.

 From memory, the Cryptix libraries are Java only (Perl?), so I'd
probably need to look at something like GnuPG.

Not a trivial thing, but I think worth doing.

My thought would be that if all of us agree that signing the code should
be done using PGP keys, then there is probably sound value in making
sure that both implementations can support PGP based signing/validation.

I will do some research, but it won't happen for the 0.1 release that
I've been trying to plan.

Cheers,
    Berin

Re: Some questions

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <er...@koogh.com>.

Re: Some questions

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.

Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:

> GUMP starts the 'ant gump' target which compiles everything, makes the
> full documentation and runs *ALL* unit tests (including interop) each
> time.

Which makes me even more interested in a C version - that's *exactly*
what I want to do.  I will wait with interest to see what Sam comes back
with.

Cheers,
    Berin

Re: Some questions

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.

--On Dienstag, 25. Februar 2003 20:22 +1100 Berin Lautenbach
<be...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
>>
>> But now that we have multiple developers, we should have a process. Do
>> you have a good suggestion on that?
>
> A very good question.  Would anyone have any objections if I posted a
> query on general@xml to see whether there are some guidelines for other
> projects that we can easily re-use?

Of course no objection ;-))

>> Yes, there exists a conformance suite which is 'hidden' in the unit
>> tests. The XML-Signature interop tests are in
>> xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/InteropTest.java
>> ,  the canonicalization stuff is in
>> xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/c14n/implementat
>> ions/.
>
> I think I have already gone through all of these anyway (other than
> xpath-filter).
>
> Do you use the GUMP process to test validation of these, or is this a
> "by-hand" thing whenever you want to do a release?

GUMP starts the 'ant gump' target which compiles everything, makes the full
documentation and runs *ALL* unit tests (including interop) each time.

Christian

Re: Some questions

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>Sofar we've not yet
>had a serious desire for such. But it is possible.
>
>Perhaps a good start would be a simple perl script on cvs.apache.org which
>'knows' about the 9 KEYS files and provides a single interface to them.

Worth doing?  If there is no serious desire then hard to justify.
 However if there is a desire, then we can definitely have a good look
at what can be done.  To start with it should be fairly simple - even if
we just import everything to a common key-ring that all Apache
committers can import.  I would have thought might be useful?

>But yes - given the rare-ness of x509 native signing tools for XML doc's
>you'd have to either use PGP -or- develop a tool chain (and the procedures
>to go with it) for this problem which would need to be accessible to all
>the ASF committers. Given the wide range of hardware they use (from PC to
>mainframe) for their releases - that is far from trivial.

Unfortunately whatever way we go, this same problem is going to rear
it's ugly head.  The tools will need to interface to the security
libraries, even if we use PGP, as we need to build the constructs and do
the xml transformations to get a good signature.

So (at the risk of over-complicating things - this started out simple!)
there are two ways we can go -

1.  We can develop a basic capability in xml-security around a simple
xml document based on the W3C standard and PGP.  We can then make this
available to the wider community and change it on the basis of
desire/needs/wants.

2.  We can put the question to the broader (maybe XML to start with?)
community to see what the desires might be and head down that track from
the start.

Either way, I think it's a valuable exercise for the xml-security
project.  If we can create something useful for the Apache project, then
the likelyhood is it is useful for a broader audience.

Cheers,
    Berin

Re: Some questions

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> thing we would need to define was any additional fields we want in terms
> of licenses etc, then we put them in the document with the signature.

Aye - this was why I stress *VERY* simple :-)

> preference I think?  The beauty is that if it's done right, it should
> still be human readable.

Aye, human, pointy haired boss and laywer readable too.

> But you indirectly raise a very good point.  Would there be any broader
> interest in this in the Apache community?  If so, would the preference
> be similarly to stick with PGP/GPG as the key mechanism?

I would guess so.

> BTW - Is there any central Apache Keyring with cross-signed keys of
> developers?  I know the keys exist in the CVS, but it's harder to
> extract them from there.

No - each PMC generally has a KEYS file (pgp keys) which are resonably
cross signed. Someone could write an interface of apache committer keys
across it all.

Also note that the ASF has enough of a corperate infrastructure do do
more; i.e. have KEYS on (paper) file, connect them to people their paper
signatures on the contributors agreement and what not. Sofar we've not yet
had a serious desire for such. But it is possible.

Perhaps a good start would be a simple perl script on cvs.apache.org which
'knows' about the 9 KEYS files and provides a single interface to them.

But yes - given the rare-ness of x509 native signing tools for XML doc's
you'd have to either use PGP -or- develop a tool chain (and the procedures
to go with it) for this problem which would need to be accessible to all
the ASF committers. Given the wide range of hardware they use (from PC to
mainframe) for their releases - that is far from trivial.

Dw

Re: Some questions

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
Dirk,

You've obviously heard about my cooking :>.

The XML-DSIG standard lays out exactly what the signature format would
look like (including where the digest values would go etc.)  The only
thing we would need to define was any additional fields we want in terms
of licenses etc, then we put them in the document with the signature.

So I wasn't thinking of defining a new signature format just for signing
files - given the main aim of the xml-security projects is to create
implementations of the W3C signature standards, that would be the

Re: Some questions

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: Some questions

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
More comments in line!

Cheers,
    Berin

Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:

> But now that we have multiple developers, we should have a process. Do
> you have a good suggestion on that?

A very good question.  Would anyone have any objections if I posted a
query on general@xml to see whether there are some guidelines for other
projects that we can easily re-use?

> Yes, there exists a conformance suite which is 'hidden' in the unit
> tests. The XML-Signature interop tests are in
> xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/InteropTest.java,
> the canonicalization stuff is in
> xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/c14n/implementation
>
> s/.

<snip>

I think I have already gone through all of these anyway (other than
xpath-filter).

Do you use the GUMP process to test validation of these, or is this a
"by-hand" thing whenever you want to do a release?

> I'm not sure about that. You should ask Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
> about that.

Have done - will wait and see.

>> 4.  Is there any interest in creating a release signing process that
>> creates an XML based .sig file as well as the standard PGP sig?
>> Probably
>> a bit mickey mouse, but if we are creating libraries that do signatures
>> it might be a nice way to show how they work?
>

> Definetively yes ;-)) "Eat your own cooking!" Sign releases using XML
> Signature. The point is: To do that, I would like to use my PGP key
> for creating these signatures, and I didn't play around with the
> cryptix stuff to get my PGP key as DH or RSA key usable in Java...

See later e-mail.

Cheers,
    Berin

Re: Some questions

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.
Hi Berin,

comments inline...

Christian

--On Montag, 24. Februar 2003 22:29 +1100 Berin Lautenbach
<be...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> 1.  Is there a formal release process for new "releases" of code inside
> Apache?

Since I was the only developer in the past, there was no formal schedule or
release process. I simply packed a new version when I 'felt' that it was
time to do so as CVS contained significant changes.

But now that we have multiple developers, we should have a process. Do you
have a good suggestion on that?

> 2.  Is there, for xml-security, a conformance suite of tests that should
> be run?  If not, should we set one up?  (I would say yes?)

Yes, there exists a conformance suite which is 'hidden' in the unit tests.
The XML-Signature interop tests are in
xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/InteropTest.java,
the canonicalization stuff is in
xml-security/src_unitTests/org/apache/xml/security/test/c14n/implementation
s/.

All these tests are evaluated against the test vectors in the directories

xml-security/data/interop/xfilter2/merlin-xpath-filter2-three/
xml-security/data/interop/c14n/Y1/
xml-security/data/interop/c14n/Y2/
xml-security/data/interop/c14n/Y3/
xml-security/data/interop/c14n/Y4/
xml-security/data/ie/baltimore/merlin-examples/
xml-security/data/at/iaik/ixsil/

> 3.  The GUMP process is, as I understand it, a Java based system for
> auto-building/testing code.  Is there anything equivalent for C/C++ code
> that anyone is aware of (might be one for general@xml.apache.org)?  The
> real value of GUMP is it auto tests changes to other libraries, and I'm
> already starting to run into interesting problems when changes happen to
> xerces/xalan.

I'm not sure about that. You should ask Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> about
that.

> 4.  Is there any interest in creating a release signing process that
> creates an XML based .sig file as well as the standard PGP sig?  Probably
> a bit mickey mouse, but if we are creating libraries that do signatures
> it might be a nice way to show how they work?

Definetively yes ;-)) "Eat your own cooking!" Sign releases using XML
Signature. The point is: To do that, I would like to use my PGP key for
creating these signatures, and I didn't play around with the cryptix stuff
to get my PGP key as DH or RSA key usable in Java...

Kind regards,
Christian