Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/19 01:56:21 UTC

0.8.1 stability

Thanks for giving the 0.8.1 release a spin! A few people have reported bugs
with delete topic <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1310> and
also the automatic leader
rebalancing<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1305>feature
that we released as part of 0.8.1. These features were released as
beta and were not widely tested at LinkedIn, unlike most of the stuff that
we have released in the past. As a result, more bugs are being reported on
0.8.1 that are of a rather serious nature. It is unclear how many of these
bugs might show up on 0.8.1 as more people adopt it. To mitigate the impact
and also to continue releasing stable code to our users, I'm proposing we
do a point release (0.8.1.1?) to turn off these features for the time
being. Stabilize and test these and then release these as part of 0.8.2.

Do people have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Neha

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

-Jay

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Niek Sanders <ni...@gmail.com>.
A point release focusing on stability would definitely be nice.

And maybe a table in a wiki marking the stability of various features
(core, replication, synchronous messageing, compaction, rebalancing,
topic create, etc), so that people don't end up in the danger zone on
prod deployments.

- Niek

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by "Michael G. Noll" <mi...@michael-noll.com>.

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Niek Sanders <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
I am +1 on a 0.8.1.1 release ( off the 0.8.1 branch tagged) for blocking bug fixes.  If we have features/improvements for 0.8.2 then we should hold them off ( with 0.9.0 providing more system changes).

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly
 Twitter: @allthingshadoop

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Sriram Subramanian <sr...@linkedin.com>.
Auto rebalance is already turned off in 0.8.1.

Re: 0.8.1 stability

Posted by Sriram Subramanian <sr...@linkedin.com>.