Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Radovan Semancik <ra...@evolveum.com.INVALID> on 2021/08/02 15:08:10 UTC

TCP keepalive time/interval/retry

Hello,

I would like to implement support for setting TCP keepalive
time/interval/retry setting in the API. This is very useful for
long-lived LDAP connections, e.g. in case of connection pooling.
However, socket options for TCP keepalive time/interval/retry setting is
available since Java 11 (see class ExtendedSocketOptions).

Now I'm a bit confused regarding Maven configuration. The directory API
has properties for Java 8 in pom.xml:

     <maven.compiler.source>1.8</maven.compiler.source>
     <maven.compiler.target>1.8</maven.compiler.target>

Yet, I would guess that otherwise we are on Java 11. Am I right? What
Java version we are actually supposed to run on?

Then, it looks like MINA is stuck back in Java 7 world. I had a look at
MINA source code (again) ... I'm not that well versed in MINA, yet it
looks like there is no obvious way how to use Java 11
ExtendedSocketOptions in MINA (and hence Directory API).

Am I right? This would be quite unfortunate, being stuck with
10-year-old Java version. What would be the right thing to do here to
get API completely to Java 11 world? I'm trying to assess the required
effort, whether it would be feasible for us to do the work.

Thanks for any insights.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect

Re: TCP keepalive time/interval/retry

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radovan,

yes, Mina is still based on Java 7,

However, we can most certainly switch to Java 8, as Java 7 is dead since
April 2015 (and the extended support dies in 2022). 1.8 is also dead,
but at least ExtendedSocketOptions is supported in this version (somehow).

Another option would be to move to Java 11 for MINA, or to have a
specific MINA version that requires Java 11 or higher.

I'm in vacations atm, but I'll see on MINA ML if we can move in that
direction.

On 02/08/2021 21:46, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 8/2/21 5:08 PM, Radovan Semancik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to implement support for setting TCP keepalive
>> time/interval/retry setting in the API. This is very useful for
>> long-lived LDAP connections, e.g. in case of connection pooling.
>> However, socket options for TCP keepalive time/interval/retry setting is
>> available since Java 11 (see class ExtendedSocketOptions).
>>
>> Now I'm a bit confused regarding Maven configuration. The directory API
>> has properties for Java 8 in pom.xml:
>>
>>      <maven.compiler.source>1.8</maven.compiler.source>
>>      <maven.compiler.target>1.8</maven.compiler.target>
>>
>> Yet, I would guess that otherwise we are on Java 11. Am I right? What
>> Java version we are actually supposed to run on?
>
> For Studio we dropped Java 8 support early this year, all other
> sub-projects are still compatible with Java 8. At some point we might
> drop Java 8 support too for all the other sub-projects. Feel free to
> open the discussion :)
>
>> Then, it looks like MINA is stuck back in Java 7 world. I had a look at
>> MINA source code (again) ... I'm not that well versed in MINA, yet it
>> looks like there is no obvious way how to use Java 11
>> ExtendedSocketOptions in MINA (and hence Directory API).
>>
>> Am I right? This would be quite unfortunate, being stuck with
>> 10-year-old Java version. What would be the right thing to do here to
>> get API completely to Java 11 world? I'm trying to assess the required
>> effort, whether it would be feasible for us to do the work.
>
> I think you need to wait for Emmanuel, or ask the MINA people directly.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

*Emmanuel Lécharny - CTO* 205 Promenade des Anglais – 06200 NICE
T. +33 (0)4 89 97 36 50
P. +33 (0)6 08 33 32 61
emmanuel.lecharny@busit.com https://www.busit.com/

Re: TCP keepalive time/interval/retry