Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/04/02 11:37:57 UTC

[4.1.x] Next release

Hi,

As far as I am concerned, the focus for the next stable 4.1.x release
will be on small fixes. I do not want to introduce new features or
changes which would affect Tomcat's behavior. I think the ETA for that
next stable release could be within one to two months.

So I would need to compile a list of issues which should be fixed in the
next release.

As a starting point:
- Fix HTTP compression check (I think a small refactoring is needed to
make the feature cleaner).
- Fix FORM processing for more complex requests (bug 10229).
- Error message when the Java compiler is not found by Ant (if this is
fixable; Costin ?).
- Double wrapping of session objects.

I'm waiting for some input to fill up the list. Note that for low
priority bugs, a patch will be required. The patch would need to:
- have a low impact
- be of good quality (no performance/scalability impact, clean code)

Thanks,
Remy

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
Hello,

About the 4.1.25 tagging which is taking place.
What is going to be the status of http gzip compression in 4.1.25? See bug
18073.
Or will there follow a 4.1.26-BETA in the near future with some enhanced
functionality?

Greetings,

Ronald.

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
+1 for the next 4.1 release to include only bug fixes.

A quick query of bugzilla found 744 bugs for Tomcat 4 which are not
either closed or resolved.

Ouch!

Perhaps we should set a goal for how much this number should be
reduced before doing the release.

Some of these are quite old and perhaps only need to be checked
to see if they are still valid.

Some are for mod_webapp.  Since there is no volunteer to maintain
this and we have removed it from the distribution, these could
probably be closed as WONT FIX.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Costin Manolache wrote:

>Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>Could I get some details on that filter/facade bug ?
>>

>Yes, Filter.init() is called with the Context object instead of the
>facade. While Servlet.init() is called correctly.
>
>This may allow access to the internals, and is just weird ( getting
>different context objects in the same app for a servlet and a filter ).

Fixed. I have ported the patch from Tomcat 5 (where no regression has
been found).

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>

>>>Could I get some details on that filter/facade bug ?
>>

>> Yes, Filter.init() is called with the Context object instead of the
>> facade. While Servlet.init() is called correctly.
>>
>> This may allow access to the internals, and is just weird ( getting
>> different context objects in the same app for a servlet and a filter ).
>
> Does JFA patch fix this also ?

Yes. It needs to be backported.

Regarding the other issue - can we at least have the .jars released
separately - say for developer use ( for build ) or without any particular
support ? ( i.e. no updater or patch release )

Costin

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>

>>> Could I get some details on that filter/facade bug ?
>>

>> Yes, Filter.init() is called with the Context object instead of the
>> facade. While Servlet.init() is called correctly.
>> This may allow access to the internals, and is just weird ( getting
>> different context objects in the same app for a servlet and a filter ).
>

> Does JFA patch fix this also ?

Yes.

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

RE: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.

allow proxy support for the JK connectors (just like http), I'll submit a
patch

Filip

Re: [4.1.x] Next release

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.