Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shaun Campbell <ca...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/11 14:57:38 UTC

Highlighting large text fields

I've been using highlighting for a while, using the original highlighter,
and just come across a problem with fields that contain a large amount of
text, approx 250k characters. I only have about 2,000 records but each one
contains a journal publication to search through.

What I noticed is that some records didn't return a highlight even though
they matched on the content. I noticed the hl.maxAnalyzedChars parameter
and increased that, but  it allowed some records to be highlighted, but not
all, and then it caused memory problems on the server.  Performance is also
very poor.

To try to fix this I've tried  to configure the unified highlighter in my
solrconfig.xml instead.   It seems to be working but again I'm missing some
highlighted records.

The other thing is I've tried to adjust my unified highlighting settings in
solrconfig.xml and they don't  seem to be having any effect even after
restarting Solr.  I was just wondering whether there is any highlighting
information stored at index time. It's taking over 4hours to index my
records so it's not easy to keep reindexing my content.

Any ideas on how to handle highlighting of large content  would be
appreciated.

Shaun

Re: Highlighting large text fields

Posted by Shaun Campbell <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

Just reindexed everything and it appears to be performing well and giving
me highlights for the matched text.

Thanks for your help.
Shaun

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.