Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/03/06 11:28:34 UTC

tabled discussions update

modded this wiki page quite a bit. For ACK.

- LSD

= Tabled Discussions =

This document is to keep track of discusstion points
related to Avalon 5 development.  When things get to
a point where they can be focused on in the Avalon-Dev
site without being considered noise.  Just follow the
format already outlined below.

== Should we incorporate Commons Logging? ==
This move would increase synergy with other
projects and reduce the amount of code that we
need to maintain.  The issue was raised by Mauro
Telivi, and we need further	communication to
figure out what is the best solution.

=== Update by LSD ===

Additional discussion as part of the framework 4.1.4
release. We didn't add a wrapper around commons-logging
Log class, but it is easy to do and should be considered
again for the next release.

Its turned out we cannot really migrate to Log at all in
4.x, as it doesn't provide getChildLogger(). And it makes
no sense for commons either to add in that method into
the Log interface (because of backwards compatibility).

Note discussions about this with commons were quite fun
and productive, so good synergy vibes nonetheless :D

=== PRO: ===
* (bloritsch) It has the appeal of synergy with other communities.

=== CON: ===
* (bloritsch) I think that synergy comes at too high a price for
Avalon's architecture.
* (pdonald) Nah. For the sharing of one interface it does not seem
useful to couple the projects. Commons also passes down objects which is
not a great idea as it means that you are binding to specific subsystems
if you use that "feature".

== Topic: Should we use Maven for the build? ==
Our current build architecture is chaotic to say
the least.  We have no less than three methods
of generating documentation, and serveral fairly
complex build scripts.  Maven helps smooth out
the inconsistencies in the approach, and still
allows for plugging in a documentation building
tool like Fortress.  Most importantly, it will
get rid of many JAR files in our CVS directory,
and simplify the build process for our users.

=== Update by LSD ====

We've started restructuring the build structure to
get rid of jars in CVS by using standard ant tasks
to get stuff from the maven repo. We've come a large
way for generating docs (now using forrest in most
places, still anakia in some, but no "custom cocoon"
anymore).

The build structure is still quite complex and
inconsistent. Its still a good idea to move away
from "just ant". Jason suggested we wait for beta9
if we want to move.

=== PRO: ===
* (bloritsch) We are in desparate need of a unified and simple build
architecture.  IMO, Maven is the best choice we have available.  Let's
simplify.  Speed is only part of the issue here.  We need to be able to
manage project dependencies properly, and Maven's repository is a good
solution.  We can treat each individual project separately for the time
being, so there is no heirarchy to worry about.  When Maven does support
it, and I think they will, we can consolidate things again.
* (pdonald) I am using maven to build the site for all the stuff I am
moving out of Avalon.  It is absolutely fantastic.  There is a few
hickups  and it is definetly still alpha quality but it is better than
what we have now.  The great thing about it is that a lot of people have
already done all the integration work and it is easy enough to get
coverage, junit etc all integrated in.

=== CON: ===
* (pdonald) The negatives:
   - speed (not a great problem in CVS version because of
     "console" plugin)
   - project inheritance is not fully done so we have to
     copy a 3 line property file around when we are using;
     however, this is supposed to be fixed before next release
   - inheritance of maven.xmls is not possible as far as I
     know so you can end up copying some around.  Not sure
     if this will be fixed .. but will become irrelevent if
     next point picked up ...
   - painful to manage your own plugins if not in maven CVS.
     I believe this will hopefully be fixed sometime in the
     future ... maybe :)

I am using their last release and it seems to work well.
However it may be best to wait till next release
before converting Avalon (Just to avoid a few bugs that
the last Maven has). However I suggest we keep our current
ANT build system around until Maven gets the ability to
easily install plugins on per project basis at which
point we can dump our exisitng build system.

== Topic: Should we unify the CVS structures? ==

We currently have ~9 CVS structures.  The purpose
was to separate the different projects and make
it very clear what code belongs to which project.
That project also helps us identify areas of tight
coupling and what projects depend on which other
projects.  That can still be done in one CVS
structure, using directories to distinguish the
projects.

=== Update by LSD ===

Well, testlet allready nuked, and we want to keep
avalon, avalon-site and avalon-sandbox even if we do a
unification, so definately not one repo. Doesn't apply to
a SVN setup though.

=== PRO: ===
* (bloritsch) We have some projects that are no longer supported or
needed (like Testlet). It would be a good way to clean out the cruft,
and help manage the focus and scope of Avalon.
* (pdonald) Yes, BUT Maybe we should wait for subversion
(subversion.tigris.org).  It looks like a much better tool and if we go
to that we can do the big re-arrange then.

=== CON: ===

* (lsimons) its lots of work, and we've been restructuring
our asses off, and it has led to headaches where phoenix
depended via-via on sandbox code and stuff like that. We've
done enough restructuring.

* (lsimons) a very large CVS module takes a long time to
update!

== Topic: Should we remove unused sets of code? ==

Excalibur is rife with obsolete, competing,
and confusing stuff.  Also mixed in there are
some *really* useful gold nuggets.  By getting
rid of the failed experiments, we can focus our
energies and web site on what is good.

=== Update by LSD ===

General consensus seems to be: yes, we should.
Excalibur is looking a lot cleaner already!

=== PRO: ===
* (bloritsch) For competing technologies, they should be merged back
into the parent project they came out of.  Nine times out of ten, the
only maintainers and developers for those projects support the parent
project.  We should also archive and remove all the CVS stuff for our
deprecated packages.  We aren't maintaining them any more--and they are
still draining energies (of users, etc.).  It will help clean the slate.

=== CON: ===
* (bloritsch) What projects are we removing?  It is a potential sticking
point, and we still need a copy of the old code.

Re: tabled discussions update

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:28, Leo Simons wrote:
> === CON: ===
> * (pdonald) The negatives:
>    - speed (not a great problem in CVS version because of
>      "console" plugin)

no longer an issue with latest release.

>    - project inheritance is not fully done so we have to
>      copy a 3 line property file around when we are using;
>      however, this is supposed to be fixed before next release

no longer an issue with next release. (Broken in latest release).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald