Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Geoffrey Van Nuffelen <ge...@cora.be> on 2001/06/06 16:24:20 UTC

My Network Places

Hi all,

Please I am testing this tutorial, but I don't know where I can find the
"My Network Places" folder .

The tutorial :
------------------

9) Now, you will probably want to set up a windows "Web Folder" to give you
access to your slide server. Internet Explorer adds a Windows interface to a
DAV server such as slide which enables you to access the server directly
from your desktop - in effect slide's store is exposed to you as a "network
drive". To set this feature up:

9a) In your Windows "My Network Places" folder, select "new network place".

9b) Where it says "type the location of the Network Place", enter the URL
for your slide server. If you're running the tomcat server on your desktop
PC, the URL will be by default "http://localhost:8080/slide".

9c) Click next and finish, and when prompted to log in, log in as root with
password root (these were set in step 3 above).

Thanks,

Geoffrey...

Re: My Network Places

Posted by Dan Diephouse <di...@compassarts.org>.
I don't have a windows machine, but I believe "My Network Places" is only on
some versions of Windows.  And I believe on the versions of windows that do
have it it is under "My Computer."  Could be wrong though.  One way I know that
you can test slide is open IE and goto File->Open.  Type in
http://localhost:8080/slide (or whatever your actual servlet address is) and
click "Open as Web Folder" (Its something along those lines).  This should pull
up the slide servlet and prompt for your username and password if you installed
things correctly.

Dan Diephouse

RE: My Network Places

Posted by Peter Hawkins <pe...@globalvision.com.au>.
On W2K it's on the desktop but not turned on by default. I can't recall
where you go but there is a dialogue somewhere to select what's shown on
your desktop (you can turn off My Computer, Recycle bin and turn others on
etc).

Peter