Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cody Harris <hc...@ns.sympatico.ca> on 2003/04/03 22:28:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Internet Explorer

I set up this URL (http://pnsoftware.gotdns.com) which is a VHOST with this:

<directory "C:/http/pnsoftware">
deny from all
ErrorDocument 403 "The author of this webpage requests that all clients be
denied for the time being.
</directory>

In any other browser, i get that message, but on IE on Windows, i get:

You are not authorized to view this page

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the
credentials you supplied.

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please
try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number
that may be listed on the <http://localhost>localhost home page.

You can click <javascript:doSearch()>4f1ca9a.jpg<javascript:doSearch()>
Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

What's with that? Why doesn't i come up like netscape or IE my my friend's
mac. This also happens on a 404 if i don't set it to a CGI.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Internet Explorer

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 02:45:41AM +0200, Gergely Zayzon wrote:
> That would be most surprising,
> the response nr is always containing the standard error code, but the reason
> (not found, access denied and so on) cannot be matched against anything (nor
> in size nor in content) since it can be anything, but the explorer still
> displays the correct error message.

Surprising or not, it's the way it works.

The common understanding is that 512 bytes is the cutoff point:

"Internet Explorer 5.0 provides error messages when it detects a standard
 error message from a server. Your custom message file must be larger than
 512 bytes in order to bypass the standard IE5.0 error message."

(from http://www.highcontext.com/Articles/howto/404.php)

Microsoft asserts that this value is defined in the registry and is
configurable for each error code IE5+ handles with a "friendly message"

Zac

RE: [users@httpd] Internet Explorer

Posted by Gergely Zayzon <ge...@harras.net>.
That would be most surprising,
the response nr is always containing the standard error code, but the reason
(not found, access denied and so on) cannot be matched against anything (nor
in size nor in content) since it can be anything, but the explorer still
displays the correct error message.

regards,
gergoe

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.

Posted by Gergely Zayzon <ge...@harras.net>.
Turn off the "show friendly error messages" somewhere in the "internet
options->advanced tab", then you won't got messages like this. But if you
want to be sure that everyone gets your message use a cgi script and send an
another response code back to the browser.

Regards,
gergoe

Posted by Cody Harris <hc...@ns.sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Mike <mi...@levrah.net>.