Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mary George <ma...@infosys.com> on 2005/09/20 15:42:12 UTC

Help needed in using Jmeter to test an application that requires user Login

Hi

I have been trying to test an application that requires user login using
JMeter, but am having trouble doing the same. I have detailed the
scenario below. Could you please provide some pointers on what could be
going wrong?

To record the steps to test the application, I used a HTTP Proxy Server
with a Recording Controller. After changing the proxy settings on my
browser, and starting the Proxy Server, I followed the steps below

*         Logged into the application using the user ID and password.

*         Sequentially browsed through two pages which had the user ID
and password details passed as parameters in the request URL

*         Sequentially browsed through more pages which did not have the
user ID and password details in the request URL

*         Stopped the proxy server and changed back the proxy settings
on my browser

*         Added the http requests that were created under the Recording
Controller to a thread group that I created under the testplan

*         Added a HTTP Recording Controller to the thread group, added
"Aggregate Report" and "View Results Tree" listeners to the test plan,
saved the test plan and ran it

When I ran the test plan, I found that the execution did not proceed
beyond the first two request after the login request. No error was found
in the aggregate report or in the responses displayed in the "View
Results Tree" report, but the thread stopped execution at this point.

Next, I tried removing the HTTP Recording Controller from the thread
group, and running the test plan. I found that this time, JMeter
executed all the requests, however, the all requests after the login
request and the first two requests, failed with an error response.

I do not have access to the source code of this application (I am using
it only to invoke another application that I have developed), so I do
not know whether cookies or URL rewriting is being used. Any help that
you could provide in debugging this problem therefore would be very
useful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Mary

Mary George

Infosys Technologies Limited, Bangalore, India

Direct: +91-80-51564735 | Board: +91-80-28520261 Extn 64735

Email : mary_george@infosys.com

Re: Help needed in using Jmeter to test an application that requires user Login

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Try adding a Cookie Manager to the Thread Group