Posted to user@struts.apache.org by wild_oscar <mi...@almeida.at> on 2007/08/22 16:46:49 UTC

Sending value stack from Action A to Action B

Being new to Struts2, I was searching for an answer to a use case I
developed:

- Welcome page has login form (send to LoginAction)
- LoginAction reads username and password and sends to ListStuffAction
- ListStuffAction reads stuff from database and sends to Stuff page
- Stuff page lists the stuff.

In Suff page, I also have a "welcome *username*, your password is
*password*"

Now, in LoginAction the username and password are in the value Stack and I
can access them. But when I reach the Stuff page, I get an odd "Welcome, < .
Your password is <".

I'm guessing the value stack isn't sent among actions. I tried making
LoginAction's result to be of type ServletActionRedirectResult and
ActionChainResult, but both failed.

My questions are:

1) How can values in the value stack be sent among actions, so that they are
available in the final web page?
2) Isn't this a common scenario in struts2's web development?

The reason I was trying this approach is the fact that I want to use the
ListStuffAction repeatedly: when a user logs in, after a user inserts a new
record so that the list can be updated with the new value, etc.

Thank you for your answers!

Re: RE Sending value stack from Action A to Action B

Posted by wild_oscar <mi...@almeida.at>.
I believe you are right. It does work when using Chaining. I believe I had a
bug in the final jsp page, it now works correctly. Thank you

Posted by Laszlo Borsos <bl...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by ML...@abusinessware.com.