Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gregory Seidman <gs...@anthropohedron.net> on 2005/12/22 13:51:34 UTC

[OT] Leaving the list

I can't say I've been very active on this list, but I used to read it
carefully. I find that I am now only giving it a cursory glance. I
originally joined because I had intended to create a wedding guest
management webapp for my own user for planning my wedding. (I wrote a
prototype with JSP and a tag library.)

Well, that was over two years ago and I've been married for more than a
year now, and the webapp never did get off the ground. I still have some
intention of developing it anyway, but I am not going to use Struts. Or
Faces, Springs, Tiles, Shale, Hibernate, iBatis, JSP, or even Java. I gave
up on Java for GUI work some time ago, having done significant development
with AWT (1.0 and 1.1) and Swing and found it frustrating at best (no, I
haven't tried SWT). On the other hand, I was impressed with JSP and
servlets and the frameworks around them. Now, though, I am giving up on it
as a web development platform as well.

I almost unsubscribed when I started using ASP.NET at work, and discovered
the real pleasure of C# and the ASP.NET web control system. (Oh, the misery
of Beans as compared to real reflectable properties!) I was sufficiently
wary of the vendor lockin involved to want to remain abreast of Java web
development, however. I have now gotten into Ruby, and I am so impressed
with it as a language and Ruby on Rails as a web development platform that
I see little reason to bother with Java at all anymore, much less Struts.

I am not writing this as evangelism, a troll, or flamebait. I could have
just quietly unsubscribed. Instead, I wanted to give the list some sense of
why someone would give up on Struts. It isn't just some failing of Struts
itself (though most of my initial difficulties when I was trying to port my
webapp prototype to Struts involved shortcomings in documentation, despite
the various online documentation and having purchased _Struts_Kickstart_),
but of Java as well.

I am unsubscribing now, so I will not see any responses to this sent only
to the Struts list. If you have a response you think would interest me (and
I assure you, flames do not interest me), feel free to CC me or send me
email directly. It's been fun and, often, highly informative. Best wishes
to everyone.

--Greg