Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> on 2006/07/11 23:24:32 UTC

Re: svn commit: r420983 [1/5] - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ include/ modules/aaa/ modules/arch/netware/ modules/arch/win32/ modules/cache/ modules/database/ modules/dav/fs/ modules/dav/lock/ modules/dav/main/ modules/debugging/ modules/echo/ modules/experime...

fielding@apache.org wrote:
> Author: fielding
> Date: Tue Jul 11 13:33:53 2006
> New Revision: 420983

> Log:
> update license header text

Roy,

It would of been helpful to discuss this change before doing it on
dev@httpd.  Last time someone just went off and did it, we ended up
reverting it all again.

Thanks,

-Paul

Re: updating license header text

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 7/11/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> > It would of been helpful to discuss this change before doing it on
> > dev@httpd.  Last time someone just went off and did it, we ended up
> > reverting it all again.
>
> That was for updating the dates, and the discussion was to hold off
> because the board was going to mandate a different update.

Correct - as you all can see, the new template doesn't mention any years.  =)

> The update I am doing right now is the one mandated by the board
> at the May 24 meeting (minutes not yet public).  The resolution says

Yup.

Thanks!  -- justin

updating license header text

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> It would of been helpful to discuss this change before doing it on
> dev@httpd.  Last time someone just went off and did it, we ended up
> reverting it all again.

That was for updating the dates, and the discussion was to hold off
because the board was going to mandate a different update.

The update I am doing right now is the one mandated by the board
at the May 24 meeting (minutes not yet public).  The resolution says

          WHEREAS, the copyright of contributions to The Apache
          Software Foundation remains with the contribution's owner(s),
          but the copyright of the collective work in each Foundation
          release is owned by the Foundation,

          WHEREAS, each file within a Foundation release often includes
          contributions from multiple copyright owners,

          WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file attribution
          of authorship does not promote collaborative development,

          WHEREAS, inclusion of works that have not been directly
          submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation for
          development does not present the same collaborative
          development issues and does not allow the owners to consider
          the Foundation's copyright notice policies;

          NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that for the case of copyright
          notices in files contributed and licensed to The Apache
          Software Foundation, the copyright owner (or owner's agent)
          Software Foundation, the copyright owner (or owner's agent)
          must either: remove such notices, move them to the NOTICE
          file associated with each applicable project release, or
          provide written permission for the Foundation to make such
          removal or relocation of the notices, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that each release shall include a NOTICE file for
          such copyright notices and other notices required to accompany
          the distribution, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that the NOTICE file shall begin with the following
          text, suitably modified to reflect the product name, version,
          and year(s) of distribution of the current and past releases:

            Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
            Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that files licensed to The Apache Software
          Foundation shall be labeled with the following notice:

            Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
            or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
            distributed with this work for additional information
            regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
            to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
            "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
            with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

            Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
            software distributed under the License is distributed on an
            "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
            KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
            specific language governing permissions and limitations
            under the License.

          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that for the case of works that have not been
          directly submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation
          for development, the associated copyright notices for the work
          shall not be moved, removed, or modified.

        By Unanimous Vote, Special Order 6C, Establish guidelines for
        handling copyright notices and license headers, was Approved.

....Roy