Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> on 2003/08/14 14:48:19 UTC

cvs2svn.py failure

does this look familiar?

    new revision: 2795
committing: Tue Apr 29 11:31:50 2003, over 0 seconds
    adding or changing 1.10.6.3.2.1 : branches/webed-bomtonweb/webed/src/index.php
    new revision: 2796
committing: Tue Apr 29 11:33:16 2003, over 1 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 2236, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 2232, in main
    convert(ctx, start_pass=start_pass)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 2111, in convert
    _passes[i](ctx)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 2054, in pass4
    c.commit(dumper, ctx, sym_tracker)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1813, in commit
    sym_tracker.fill_branch(dumper, ctx, br)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1657, in fill_branch
    self.fill_name(dumper, ctx, branch, None, jit_new_rev)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1615, in fill_name
    is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1535, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1535, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "/usr/local/bin/cvs2svn.py", line 1479, in copy_descend
    val = marshal.loads(self.db[key])
KeyError: 7bb
roman@ishtar ~/svn 1004:1 >

Re: cvs2svn.py failure

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:17:05AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
[snip]
>     ok. I thought... I don't know what I thought. It was almost
>     midnight, I was in a hurry, upset, and tired. When I woke up, I
>     thought: heck, let's get rid of a few modules that have been dead
>     for quite a few months, and get over with it!
>
>     thanks for the help, the software, and good luck with the release!
[snip]

Don't forget that cvs2svn.py is not the only CVS to Subversion converter
available.  I have not tried VCP, but it might work better on your
repository than cvs2svn.py currently does.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: cvs2svn.py failure

Posted by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz>.
# kfogel@collab.net / 2003-08-14 16:01:52 -0500:
> Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> >     unfortunately, the failure seems to only depend on the repo size,
> >     see below. the colon-separated pairs in my prompt are the history
> >     event number and the exit code of the previous command; I have
> >     edited out nonrelated and otherwise boring stuff (typos etc).
> >

> >     what next?
>
> I feel like I'm leading you on with an implicit promise that I'll
> debug this sometime soon.

    well, I don't feel like you do. :)

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
>     unfortunately, the failure seems to only depend on the repo size,
>     see below. the colon-separated pairs in my prompt are the history
>     event number and the exit code of the previous command; I have
>     edited out nonrelated and otherwise boring stuff (typos etc).
>

>     what next?

I feel like I'm leading you on with an implicit promise that I'll
debug this sometime soon.  I won't, so I'm not sure anything is next,
unless you have time to find & fix the bug yourself.  Sorry; not my
favorite response to give -- but we're concentrating on Subversion 1.0
here right now, so that's the way it has to be.

-Karl

Re: cvs2svn.py failure

Posted by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz>.
# kfogel@collab.net / 2003-08-14 13:07:42 -0500:
> Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> > > Slightly, yes.  Do you have a small reproduction recipe for it?
> >
> >     I don't enjoy asking lame question, but how do I identify what
> >     the offending part(s) of the repository? I have limited the
> >     conversion to the cvs module in which the bug occurred, but that
> >     completed successfully.
>
> Right, that's the problem :-).  Try adding modules until you get the
> bug, then subtract other ones until it goes away, then put one back to
> get the bug again.  Then start the same process, but at the file
> level.  Make educated guesses where possible.  Not much more advice
> than that...

    unfortunately, the failure seems to only depend on the repo size,
    see below. the colon-separated pairs in my prompt are the history
    event number and the exit code of the previous command; I have
    edited out nonrelated and otherwise boring stuff (typos etc).

 ~ 1069:0 > cp -R cvs cvs-all
 ~ 1070:0 > du -hs cvs-all
110M    cvs-all
 ~/ 1072:0 > ls cvs
BV                      bvlib                   ladymoda
CVSROOT                 bvobchod                mero
apps                    bvobchod2               pmservis
asys                    bvweb                   pmsystem
awhokej                 cargo                   puk
awstudio                config                  shellacademy
bezzabradli             dbhlasu                 smarty-plugins
bkontaktobchod          deli                    testik
blondie                 ekadlec                 texty
bma                     eonline                 tissuobchod
bomton                  fermata                 tousen
build                   foibos                  volvys
bv-hokejovyobchod       galaxie                 vyberreality
bv-obchod               htmledit                webed
 ~ 1074:0 > rm -rf cvs/[g-z]*
 ~ 1075:0 > cd cvs2svn
 ~/cvs2svn 1076:0 > ls ../svn
 ~/cvs2svn 1078:1 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1079:0 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1081:0 > cp -R ../cvs-all/[g-p]* ../cvs
 ~/cvs2svn 1082:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1083:0 > cp -R ../cvs-all/[s-t]* ../cvs
 ~/cvs2svn 1084:0 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1085:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1086:1 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1087:0 > rm -rf ../cvs/tissuobchod ../cvs/tousen
 ~/cvs2svn 1088:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1090:0 > rm -rf ../cvs/[A-Z]*
 ~/cvs2svn 1091:0 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1092:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1093:0 > cp -R ../cvs-all/BV ../cvs
 ~/cvs2svn 1094:0 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1096:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1097:0 > cp -R ../cvs-all/CVSROOT ../cvs
 ~/cvs2svn 1098:0 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1100:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1101:1 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1102:0 > rm -rf ../cvs/ladymoda
 ~/cvs2svn 1104:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1105:1 > rm -rf ../svn/repos
 ~/cvs2svn 1106:0 > rm -rf ../cvs/htmledit
 ~/cvs2svn 1108:0 > cvs2svn.py -vs ../svn/repos --create ../cvs >| ../cvs2svn.log 2>&1
 ~/cvs2svn 1109:0 >

    what next?

Re: cvs2svn.py failure

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roman Neuhauser <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> > Slightly, yes.  Do you have a small reproduction recipe for it?
>
>     I don't enjoy asking lame question, but how do I identify what
>     the offending part(s) of the repository? I have limited the
>     conversion to the cvs module in which the bug occurred, but that
>     completed successfully.

Right, that's the problem :-).  Try adding modules until you get the
bug, then subtract other ones until it goes away, then put one back to
get the bug again.  Then start the same process, but at the file
level.  Make educated guesses where possible.  Not much more advice
than that...

-K

Re: cvs2svn.py failure

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>     I don't enjoy asking lame question, but how do I identify what
>     the offending part(s) of the repository? I have limited the
>     conversion to the cvs module in which the bug occurred, but that
>     completed successfully.

You may try to use the binary search:

Cut the cvs-repository to half and try with both parts
keep the troublesome part, and repeat from start with that part
This way the size of problematic part may reduce, or not...

Someone more familiar with cvs2svn may know better tricks.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: cvs2svn.py failure