Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Wim Kerkhoff <wi...@merilus.com> on 2001/04/03 16:49:51 UTC

Re: Long waits on SQL Stored Procs. Should I use chained contenthandlers?

Robert Landrum wrote:

> At 2:06 PM +0000 4/2/01, tls@860.org wrote:

> >Any ideas?  I cant, for the life of me, figure out how this would work with
> >http redirects, and thought there might be something with mod_perl that would
> >help this.  Fork() maybe.  I'm trying a few ideas.
>
> It's probably out of date, but the CGI::Push module does exactly what you want.
>
> The doc isn't real clear, but I've used this once to do exactly what
> you're doing.  Unfortunatly, I can no longer find the code I wrote...
>
> Basically, CGI::Push sends a multipart mime message to the browser.
> The first part of that is an HTML document, which the browser renders
> immediatly.  The second part is the confirmation HTML, which the
> browser also renders in place of the original document.

Does this work with non-Netscape browsers, such as IE? I was going to
suggest this multipart MIME trick, but I thought I read in the CGI.pm
book that server push only worked with Netscape browsers.

Wim Kerkhoff

Re: Long waits on SQL Stored Procs. Should I use chained contenthandlers?

Posted by Robert Landrum <rl...@capitoladvantage.com>.
At 7:49 AM -0700 4/3/01, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:
>Robert Landrum wrote:
>>
>> At 2:06 PM +0000 4/2/01, tls@860.org wrote:
>
>> >Any ideas?  I cant, for the life of me, figure out how this would work with
>> >http redirects, and thought there might be something with
>>mod_perl that would
>> >help this.  Fork() maybe.  I'm trying a few ideas.
>>
>> It's probably out of date, but the CGI::Push module does exactly
>>what you want.
>>
>> The doc isn't real clear, but I've used this once to do exactly what
>> you're doing.  Unfortunatly, I can no longer find the code I wrote...
>>
>> Basically, CGI::Push sends a multipart mime message to the browser.
>> The first part of that is an HTML document, which the browser renders
>> immediatly.  The second part is the confirmation HTML, which the
>> browser also renders in place of the original document.
>
>Does this work with non-Netscape browsers, such as IE? I was going to
>suggest this multipart MIME trick, but I thought I read in the CGI.pm
>book that server push only worked with Netscape browsers.

Actually, It doesn't work at all anymore.  I just tested it with
Netscape and IE.  Bummer.  I wrote the code back in 1998 or 1999... I
guess that would have been Netscape 3.0 and IE 4.  Browser technology
peaked with lynx.  At least you can expect the same results with just
about every version ever written.

Rob

--
As soon as you make something foolproof, someone will create a better fool.