Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Cory Johns <cj...@slashdotmedia.com> on 2013/05/23 23:35:15 UTC

Removing commit counts on branch & tag buttons in the sidebar?

Does anyone object to me removing the commit counts on the branch & tag
buttons in the sidebar?  They can be expensive to compute and I don't feel
they add much value.

They're currently cached as part of the reindexing process, but I'd like to
move away from that as much as possible, since it's been such a huge source
of issues.  If we really want the counts back at some point, we could
potentially load them as AJAX or cache them in memcached, but I'd prefer to
defer that if we even want to bother.

Re: Removing commit counts on branch & tag buttons in the sidebar?

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 05/23/2013 05:35 PM, Cory Johns wrote:
> Does anyone object to me removing the commit counts on the branch & tag
> buttons in the sidebar?  They can be expensive to compute and I don't feel
> they add much value.

Nope, no objections here. Especially with large repos the numbers don't
even fit.  I think there is some small value on smaller repos when e.g.
one branch has 12 commits and another has 16, you can see that it's
*probably* 4 commits ahead.  But not worth it given the computation cost
you describe

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal