Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/06/02 22:56:05 UTC

Re: Default mime types update for 1.1?

> On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > That I'd be nervous about, since it turns on CGI automatically.  I'd
> > rather leave that off by default, and if we have to make the current
> > two-step process of enabling CGI easier (turning on this mime type, *and*
> > ExecCGI in Options) then I'd prefer to set the latter by default.
>
> Especially since the perferred way of doing filename-extension CGI
> scripts in 1.1 is "AddHandler cgi-script cgi", not with a media type.

Does this now have the effect of not running everything through
mod_mime if the handler is set?

Re: Default mime types update for 1.1?

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > > That I'd be nervous about, since it turns on CGI automatically.  I'd
> > > rather leave that off by default, and if we have to make the current
> > > two-step process of enabling CGI easier (turning on this mime type, *and*
> > > ExecCGI in Options) then I'd prefer to set the latter by default.
> >
> > Especially since the perferred way of doing filename-extension CGI
> > scripts in 1.1 is "AddHandler cgi-script cgi", not with a media type.
>
> Does this now have the effect of not running everything through
> mod_mime if the handler is set?

No. AddHandler is in mod_mime. I ran through all this when I wrote the
code, but you there are circumstances where you actually want to have
both a handler and a media type, and langauges and encodings and
things. For example, server-side includes. If you do "AddHandler
server-parsed ssi", then you can call a file foo.ssi.html (or
foo.html.ssi) and achieve the same as foo.shtml, but you could also do
foo.ssi.txt, or foo.ssi.html3 or even foo.ssi.gif (though I don't know
why you'd want to).

The main point of this was to make certain things more feasible, and
to get rid of "magic" media types for things that, well, weren't media
types.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."