Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by anand sharma <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/14 16:47:24 UTC

formatting hdfs says could not create jvm

Hi i am following this tutorial for installing hadoop alpha 2.0.2 on ubuntu
12.10 and am sure home variables for java and hadoop are properly
configured.

http://jugnu-life.blogspot.in/2012/05/hadoop-20-install-tutorial-023x.html?showComment=1355499712017#c4821381562859079532

after all the setup when i try to format hdfs it says something like this..

hduser@impala:/usr/local/hadoop$ hdfs -format

i get this error any reason why ..

Unrecognized option: -format
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

does anyone have any idea about it??

Re: formatting hdfs says could not create jvm

Posted by anand sharma <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the generous reply both of you and yes it was a typo and my
mistake. got it working by "hdfs namenode -format" Thanks to Andy.

Posted by anand sharma <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anand sharma <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anand sharma <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Isaacson <ad...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.
You need to format namenode as hdfs user

$sudo -u hdfs hadoop namenode -format

On 12/14/2012 10:47 AM, anand sharma wrote:
> Hi i am following this tutorial for installing hadoop alpha 2.0.2 on
> ubuntu 12.10 and am sure home variables for java and hadoop are
> properly configured.
>
> http://jugnu-life.blogspot.in/2012/05/hadoop-20-install-tutorial-023x.
> html?showComment=1355499712017#c4821381562859079532
>
> after all the setup when i try to format hdfs it says something like this..
>
> hduser@impala:/usr/local/hadoop$ hdfs -format
>
> i get this error any reason why ..
>
> Unrecognized option: -format
> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>
> does anyone have any idea about it??
NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, subject to copyright and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, copying or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete and contact the sender immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. AVIS : le présent courriel et toute pièce jointe qui l'accompagne sont confidentiels, protégés par le droit d'auteur et peuvent être couverts par le secret professionnel. Toute utilisation, copie ou divulgation non autorisée est interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu de ce courriel, supprimez-le et contactez immédiatement l'expéditeur. Veuillez penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer le présent courriel

RE: formatting hdfs says could not create jvm

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.

Posted by Terry Healy <th...@bnl.gov>.