Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martin-2 <vo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/25 19:30:44 UTC

Model "inheritance" question

Hi there,

we have a simple Problem and may be too blind to find the obvious
solution...We have a base page (AbstractUserPage) that has a model which
wraps basic properties of a user (like login). Next we have a bunch of
specialized pages that inherit from AbstractUserPage and these pages' models
extend the base model with special properties.

Since our models are basically just wrapping a DB query (they extend
LoadableDetachableModels) and the model objects are the result set beans,
using normal inheritance for the model objects would lead to a lot of
duplication in code and in the sql queries (meaning that each "extended
query" must fetch the basic properties as well).

We currently implement this using a custom model that holds other models in
a map and delegates all lifecycle calls (detach() and the like) to them so
that a child class can simply add new models (queries) to the parent's model
and still has access to the basic properties.

Is there a better way to do this or did we just overlook some wicket
functionallity?

Thanks in advance,
Martin